14.63 volts

bobtom

Featured Posts

Hi could someone help. This is not a problem as such, more a phenomenon.

I recently found a thread, on the forum, that asserted that Freedom sealed wet lead/calcium batteries can be charged to 14.8 volts.

I also found another thread that explained how to get my a127 alternator up to 14.8 volts, using a tractor regulator. So, I sent off for the regulator, and resistors, and connected it all up.

Lo and behold, after charging for some time, the voltage reached 14.63 and refused to go any higher.

Now, going back a few years, I bought a Sterling 3 stage charger. Also, about the same time, I fitted a Sterling PAR to my, then, 55 amp 127. All seemed to be going well until, about a year ago, both the charger and the PAR stopped going above, yes you guessed it, 14.63 volts!

Can anyone explain this?

Many thanks for any explanations

Tom

You may need to alter the resistor values slightly. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25083&view=findpost&p=445520

For instance, try 180Ω instead of 220Ω. Or even 100Ω in series with a pot.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25083&view=findpost&p=417223

Tony

Hi Tony thanks for the reply. I did actually go for the 100 ohm in series with the pot. Turning the pot fully one way gives me 14.63 volts. Turning it fully the other way and the alternator shuts down. I had thought of trying a different resistor but, not being electronically minded, was reluctant to do so. Your advice has given me more confidence to experiment a little. Thanks

However, all this does'nt explain why my charger and PAR, when I had it fitted, both gave the same results.

Tom

Thanks for that. Will try your suggestion. Its not bothering me too much (14.63v is better than the 14.23v I was getting before the mod), its just the curiosity of the 3 different devices coming up with the same number. Many thanks

Tom

Thanks for that. Will try your suggestion. Its not bothering me too much (14.63v is better than the 14.23v I was getting before the mod), its just the curiosity of the 3 different devices coming up with the same number. Many thanks

Tom

Perhaps your voltmeter just has an affection for 14.63 :blush:

I have used the same mod on a 50 amp marine A127 run by a B&S Lawnmower Engine and can do equalisation charges at 15.5v. IIRC it takes more resistance to up the volts so perhaps a 180/200 rather than the 100 ohm is required?

Perhaps your voltmeter just has an affection for 14.63 :blush:

I have used the same mod on a 50 amp marine A127 run by a B&S Lawnmower Engine and can do equalisation charges at 15.5v. IIRC it takes more resistance to up the volts so perhaps a 180/200 rather than the 100 ohm is required?

tee hee I think you could be right, bless its cotton little socks.

Gibbo, thanks for the reply. I have a digital volt meter which I cross checked against my multi-meter. It has got me puzzled. I must point out that my batteries are, nearing the end of their life. I dont know if this is relevent.

Tom

Gibbo, thanks for the reply. I have a digital volt meter which I cross checked against my multi-meter.

But did you cross check it at 14.7, 14.8 or 15.0 volts?

The meter might be fine until it gets to 14.63 volts then refuse to go any higher. It's a perfectly feasable fault.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi could someone help. This is not a problem as such, more a phenomenon.

I recently found a thread, on the forum, that asserted that Freedom sealed wet lead/calcium batteries can be charged to 14.8 volts.

You to be a bit careful interpreting that, what was said was:

Bit hard to find info, but this datasheet says:

'Voltage regulator settings should be in the

order of 13.8 - 14.4 volts, the higher setting

being preferred.

On applications with repetitive deep cycling a

charging voltage of at least 14.8 volts is

recommended, however the on charge

voltage should not exceed 15.8 volts.'

So unless you're deep cycling them repetitively, the lower charge voltage should be fine.

cheers,

Pete.