Buckby Can

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

Hi

This is a problem that has been vexing lots of painters for some time now. Lesters, tinware manufacturers, were a major supplier until a few years ago when they relocated and decided to concentrate on more profitable lines.

Black Country Metalworks have had watercans for sale (no idea of the current position)although the quality, in the eyes of old timers like myself, is another matter - they're not bad...but.....fine detailing and soldering have been issues for previous purchasers.

Dave Turner in Runcorn produces good stuff, but only in very small quantities and his output is sold in advance. As a full time working painter, I normally ask the customer to provide a can these days for me to decorate. Another option could be to trawl ebay for older stuff, strip it and repaint. The Waterways Craft Guild is still working on the matter but there are no quick fixes and any English made cans won't be cheap.

Thinking about it...there are still a few cans , unpainted, held by Alan Smith MBE, our treasurer, tho' most are 1 gallon, not the usual 2 or 3 gallon. He may be interested in selling to non members, pm me for details if interested.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Hi

This is a problem that has been vexing lots of painters for some time now. Lesters, tinware manufacturers, were a major supplier until a few years ago when they relocated and decided to concentrate on more profitable lines.

Black Country Metalworks have had watercans for sale (no idea of the current position)although the quality, in the eyes of old timers like myself, is another matter - they're not bad...but.....fine detailing and soldering have been issues for previous purchasers.

Dave Turner in Runcorn produces good stuff, but only in very small quantities and his output is sold in advance. As a full time working painter, I normally ask the customer to provide a can these days for me to decorate. Another option could be to trawl ebay for older stuff, strip it and repaint. The Waterways Craft Guild is still working on the matter but there are no quick fixes and any English made cans won't be cheap.

Thinking about it...there are still a few cans , unpainted, held by Alan Smith MBE, our treasurer, tho' most are 1 gallon, not the usual 2 or 3 gallon. He may be interested in selling to non members, pm me for details if interested.

Hope this helps.

Dave

I find it very strange Dave that you didn't mention me as a person with Cans of all sizes (infact all canalware) as you are fully aware and purchsed quite a number yourself privately. Having been a member of the Guild for a number of years, you are well aware of the work I have been involved in producing these items (the Guild also purchasing from me). I'm surprised that the Guild are not more supportive of their own members.

Terence

Thanks Terence

I didn't think that you'd be interested in supplying unpainted ware to others, assumed your stock was tied up with MC.

The soldering/detail issues were evident with some of the batch I had from you, It's a great pity that Lester's can't be persuaded to restart production. Ah well.

Dave

Thanks very much to the members who replied with some very useful info. I've managed to get just the can I needed from Terence, who is a regular contributor to this forum. He was extremely helpful and informative, and the can was a very reasonable price. If any else needs an unpainted Buckby Can, Terence is definitely the man to speak to. Thanks again. Jack