Inverter trips out.

nb celestine

Featured Posts

I have an 1800w Modified sine wave inverter and when it is switched on, when I push the button to light the gas hob the inverter trips out and the over heat buzzer sounds. I have to turn off the inverter and wait about 10mins before I can turn it on again without the buzzer sounding again.

The fridge is the only thing that runs off the inverter. Last weekend, fridge was off but the telly was on and when the button was pressed, the telly tripped out so had to wait before I could put that on again. Nearly missed the footy.

Any ideas? Paul.

High voltage spike caused by the igniter is probably causing the other units to lock up. You need to fit some form of transient supression to it. Could use a large ferrite coil and wrap the power feed to the igniter round it a couple of times. Alternatively you could use an inductive supressor that you can get for car radios and feed the igniter through that.

On the same subject do the wires to the igniter run in the same bundle as the wires to the other loads? If they do have you tried moving them away - it might be coupling that way and moving them might fix it.

The suppressor might work if its conducted emissions, if its radiated it would require a different solution. Has it always done it or is it recent? If it's recent I'd go looking for a missing earth.

Like I said, the OP might get away with it. At 46p it has to be worth trying.

I think it's unlikely that it would radiate all the way from the cooker to the inverter, but yes it could radiate from there to the supply cable. If it does the same suppressor might just cure it.

Your comment about the possibility of a missing earth is well made though.

That's radiated emissions. A spark gap transmits broad band interference - that's why it upsets the TV. I think Paul has a conducted transient problem and Allan's suggestion of a 46p transient suppressor is the most likely fix. If that doesn't work then he's into more "interesting" EMC fixes.

That's radiated emissions. A spark gap transmits broad band interference - that's why it upsets the TV. I think Paul has a conducted transient problem and Allan's suggestion of a 46p transient suppressor is the most likely fix. If that doesn't work then he's into more "interesting" EMC fixes.

Sorry about replying so late, I was busy last night.

Very impressed with the possible solutions but at this time in the morning can't understand the majority of it. I,ll print it all out and take it up to the boat and see if I can sort it from the advice given.

In the meantime I'll continue using the gas lighter.

Thanks, Paul.

1. Where is the inverter in relation to the gas hob?

2. Is it a 12/24 volt DC or a 230 volt AC powered ignitor?

As to question 1, the inverter is at the rear of the boat and the hob is probably 30ft away.

As to question 2, I couldn't really tell you off hand. I,ll be back on the boat at the weekend and I,ll have a butchers then. But probably don't know what I'm looking for anyway. Sorry, Gibbo, but I'm a bricky.

As to question 1, the inverter is at the rear of the boat and the hob is probably 30ft away.

As to question 2, I couldn't really tell you off hand. I,ll be back on the boat at the weekend and I,ll have a butchers then. But probably don't know what I'm looking for anyway. Sorry, Gibbo, but I'm a bricky.

And I'm crap at laying bricks.

See whether it's wired in to the normal boat wiring (going back to the batterries) or whether it has a mains plug on it. That's not a definitive test as people do silly things but it will give a clue.