full time job?

endeva

Featured Posts

Both my girlfriend and I have to get up every morning and travel to work. It is very true that living on board is more work than living on land. Last night I got home at about 8pm and had to start pumping out the toilet tank. ....Not the most pleasant thing to do in the dark and cold with a manual pump out system. But wouldn't change it for anything! except for a job that allowed me to work from home and stay on board all day long maybe....

:P Sounds hard but nice.. It would be great live on a NB.

:P Sounds hard but nice.. It would be great live on a NB.

Sam, I totally recommend it. But for anyone thinking about living on a boat, think about getting a widebeam! It makes such a difference. Lulama is a Ex hire broads cruiser, 34' by 12'. Probably a lot cheaper to buy than most narrow boats, and has loads more space. It also doesn't rock every time another boat goes by. Am I off topic? ehhhh...... and specially if you want to work on your boat, get something wide. Phew... back on topic.

But for anyone thinking about living on a boat, think about getting a widebeam! It makes such a difference. pic.

This is in fact very good advice. Last year I noticed several new or almost new widebeams come to Lincoln. You've also twice the space for half the cost, given you pay per metre.

A friend has said one way of cheap (not easy) living is to get a large old boat, moor on a tidal river with little or no fees, and live on it.

I too am one of the fortunate live-and-work-aboarders. I deliberately walked away after 20 years in airline management and started my own IT business 5 years ago, and have never looked back. My office consists of laptop, printer and phone... My clients are usually quite interested - I've even been known to turn up for meetings on the boat, even if it does take a week to get there! Continuously cruised from April to November too.

Mike

Sounds great - I'm one of the ones who struggle to juggle work and boating as well, although I tend to get the balance wrong (or is that right) and do more boating than work :rolleyes:

A friend has said one way of cheap (not easy) living is to get a large old boat, moor on a tidal river with little or no fees, and live on it.

What has being on a tidal river got to do with 'little or no fees'?

Even if you anchor in a estuary, you still have to pay mooring fees!

On some tidal rivers you wouldn't need to pay for a BW licence, or a BSS maybe.