Dry dock on Grand Union reccomendations

Painter Type

Featured Posts

Hello,

Was wondering if anybody could reccomend a dry dock (I want to paint my boat and the weather ain't going to get better now for a while) on the Grand Union?

When you say "paint the boat" do you mean the cabin, rather than blacking the hull.

If so, I'd strongly question doing it in a dry dock, (unless you don't drain it!), or you'll find the relevant bits too far away.

Also hire of dry docks is usually expensive, and even basic painting a boat (if you mean a full job) can take several weeks.

IMO you are better off with a wet dock, (i.e. boat still floating but under cover), and these typically can be hired for less than a dry dock, (or at least in my experience).

But, as Matty says, you really do need to work out where you need to be, as there is a lot of other canals between Nantwich and the GU!....

I think he meant the SHROPSHIRE union :captain:

There are a few places near Nantwich, there's Nantwich itself, then Aqueduct Marina at Church Minshull, Middlewich Dry Dock run by Steve Edgeley.

I'm sure there are others on the other side of the Junction, I just can't think of them at the moment.

When you say "paint the boat" do you mean the cabin, rather than blacking the hull.

If so, I'd strongly question doing it in a dry dock, (unless you don't drain it!), or you'll find the relevant bits too far away.

Also hire of dry docks is usually expensive, and even basic painting a boat (if you mean a full job) can take several weeks.

IMO you are better off with a wet dock, (i.e. boat still floating but under cover), and these typically can be hired for less than a dry dock, (or at least in my experience).

But, as Matty says, you really do need to work out where you need to be, as there is a lot of other canals between Nantwich and the GU!....

Debdale wharf !!! brilliant service