cleaning to the fore!

pamaloon

Featured Posts

Hi!

I know that good old elbow work is the best cleaner in the universe :blink: but... have any of you any secret potions that you wish to make nonsecret by letting me in to... "what's the best cleaning substance to use on a very damp and somewhat greasy engine bay?" My acquisition has been left somewhat to the elements and after all the rain got in she's very wet and, er, as above... all dark and "greasy" to say the least! :help: I know I've got to clean out the draining channels; their being blocked really caused the problem but since the batteries and engine are all so good, it'd seem really piffling not to clean her back end out! Short of an enema, can any of you give your secrets away? Like a boat version of good old-fashioned "Chemico" or some'it?!

Oh, and any recommended paints for inside of engine bay once she's all clean, spick 'n span?

All advice will be gratefully accepted! I'll be optimistic and dare to say "thank you" - in advance!

Cheers, :cheers:

Pamaloon - Wiltshire

Hi!

I know that good old elbow work is the best cleaner in the universe :blink: but... have any of you any secret potions that you wish to make nonsecret by letting me in to... "what's the best cleaning substance to use on a very damp and somewhat greasy engine bay?" My acquisition has been left somewhat to the elements and after all the rain got in she's very wet and, er, as above... all dark and "greasy" to say the least! :help: I know I've got to clean out the draining channels; their being blocked really caused the problem but since the batteries and engine are all so good, it'd seem really piffling not to clean her back end out! Short of an enema, can any of you give your secrets away? Like a boat version of good old-fashioned "Chemico" or some'it?!

Oh, and any recommended paints for inside of engine bay once she's all clean, spick 'n span?

All advice will be gratefully accepted! I'll be optimistic and dare to say "thank you" - in advance!

Pamaloon - Wiltshire

Hi Pam

I use BILGEX to clean all the grease and oil residue http://www.force4.co.uk/1324/Force-4-Bilgex--1L.html then a rust remover such as Hammerite followed by a repaint with a primer then two top coats of grey Danboline bilge paint http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PLYMA100-750X&Category_Code=international-paints&Store_Code=mrst

Edited by John Bean
  • Greenie 1

Hi Pam

I use BILGEX to clean all the grease and oil residue http://www.force4.co.uk/1324/Force-4-Bilgex--1L.html then a rust remover such as Hammerite followed by a repaint with a primer then two top coats of grey Danboline bilge paint http://marinestore.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PLYMA100-750X&Category_Code=international-paints&Store_Code=mrst

Thanks John. Just the sort of reply I was after. That's perfect - and thanks so much for responding so quickly and comprehensively,

Cheers to you :cheers:

Pam

• 2 weeks later...

Short of an enema, can any of you give your secrets away?

One of these makes the job a lot easier, although at the yard I work for we still spray on cleaning fluid first (Vire-sol is the name of the stuff we're using at the moment, but google 'bilge cleaner' for a variety of suitable products).

Failing that, a variety of scrubbing brushes (in order to get into all the tight spots), bilge cleaner (preferably in a pressure sprayer with a wand, again for the tight corners), and a hose (fresh or river/canal water) with a spray fitting (and trigger, to avoid putting more water into the bilge than you have to). Before you start, do work out how you're going to dispose of the resultant washings - simply pumping them into the cut is not really an option.

Hi!

Pamaloon - Wiltshire

hi. a bag of saw dust . put in engine bay push it all aruond this will soak up most of the oil and greasy water then remove . then repete. but this time rub it in to base plat with hands then remove . all best bob

Not sure how easy it is to get hold of in the narrowboating circle but we use this stuff

EVM

It is manufactured by a close friend of ours (thats not why im advising its use though) and is excellent stuff. We use it to clean everything from the engine bay and engine to the vinyl seating, fibreglass, canopies and even the cooker and the oven at home. Saves on carrying loads of cleaners around, all we need is the one bottle (well we have three scattered around the house and boat and a 5l concentrate).

To clean the engine and engine bay, we hose down the area apply the EVM then set about the engine with a scrubbing brush and a couple of paint brushes for harder to reach areas then a long handled brush to get to the rear of the engine bay then just hose it down and let it dry off.

I used paraffin and elbow grease to clean out my engine box, but you could also try Swarfega Oil & Grease Remover, or Swarfega Heavy duty Degreaser

Available from Screwfix :-

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50166/Cleaning/Degreasing-and-General/Swarfega-Oil-Grease-Remover

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/47781/Cleaning/Swarfega-Surface-Cleaners/Swarfega-Heavy-Duty-Degreaser

Edited by David Schweizer

We use cotton waste - the traditional way of cleaning marine engine rooms since the days of steam. It has many advantages including the fact that used cotton waste is easily disposed of by burning it on the stove - our weekly engine bay clean produces enough heat to boil the kettle afterwards.

Just to add that we buy cotton waste in bulk - a 25Kg. bale lasts more than five years. If anyone wants a smaller quantity we would be pleased to sell some on at the rate of £4 per Kg. or £8 per Kg. including postage by Royal Mail.