stanley dock bascule bridge re - opens

gaggle

Featured Posts

yeh , i know but people keep throwing money at this end of the canal , millions and millions for the link , half a mill for the pontoons from bw and they dont have the money to waste and now this from peel holdings , i am suprised nobody has become irate. :lol::lol:

yeh , i know but people keep throwing money at this end of the canal , millions and millions for the link , half a mill for the pontoons from bw and they dont have the money to waste and now this from peel holdings , i am suprised nobody has become irate. :lol::lol:

If the money came from wealthy Peel Holdings, then why should anyone become irate? There were a number of similar bridges in the docks at one time so it would have been a shame to lose the last example. If Peel wants to spend its money preserving some of Liverpool's heritage, don't you think they should be applauded? If they hadn't spent that money on this, they wouldn't have given it to BW instead.

But is the bridge still capable of being opened? If not, then it is no longer a bascule bridge, but a bascule-bridge-shaped fixed bridge!

yeh , i know but people keep throwing money at this end of the canal , millions and millions for the link , half a mill for the pontoons from bw and they dont have the money to waste.....................

What you really need up there then, is little rows of wooden posts at key locations to stop people driving into the waterways. :lol:

If the money came from wealthy Peel Holdings, then why should anyone become irate? I dont know WHY some will become irate but some will , its par for the course when we get anything instead of them , remember the moans when the link was announced ,all of that money was not from bw , also the moans when the new pontoons for the boat show announced , some people , probably the same ones who moaned about the link became upset , i dont know why. There were a number of similar bridges in the docks at one time so it would have been a shame to lose the last example. If Peel wants to spend its money preserving some of Liverpool's heritage, don't you think they should be applauded?Yes and i do applaud it , i was so happy i decided to post the article in order that all could share the news. If they hadn't spent that money on this, they wouldn't have given it to BW instead.

But is the bridge still capable of being opened? This i am unsure of as i said before but if contractors are on site today i will ask. If not, then it is no longer a bascule bridge, but a bascule-bridge-shaped fixed bridge!

What you really need up there then, is little rows of wooden posts at key locations to stop people driving into the waterways. :lol:

No No No , as i showed with picture elsewhere no wooden cheapo solutions for us we get a proper job. :lol::lol:

Probably not much point in it being openable as it's now isolated from the working docks. I don't suppose it has been opened for years anyway, though I happened to pass over it just before & after a test opening after which it was rapidly condemned!

It'll be nice to be able to get along the dock road again, I'm spending a fair bit of time working in West Sandon at the moment.

Tim