Idiot's inverter question

Featured Posts

We have a simple but usually sturdy Durite 900w non-sine inverter. Yesterday it started whistling when in use and today it stopped altogether.

I opened up the innards and the only fault I could find was that the input 12v+ terminal from the battery was showing clear signs of overheating - the plastic insulation had started to melt as had some of the insulation on the cable from it into the body of the unit.

I cleaned it all up and it's working fine now.

My question is: I've been using it while we're cruising along so have I been overloading it by giving it a supply from batteries that are being charged by the alternator? I thought it seemed logical to use it when running rather than drain the batteries by using it when moored up.

As you assumed, it is perfectly logical to use it while the engine is running, and that should not have caused the alternator any problems.

It sounds as if the terminal had come slightly loose and therefore overheated. With luck it's all cured now and will carry on working for years to come.

We have a simple but usually sturdy Durite 900w non-sine inverter. Yesterday it started whistling when in use and today it stopped altogether.

I opened up the innards and the only fault I could find was that the input 12v+ terminal from the battery was showing clear signs of overheating - the plastic insulation had started to melt as had some of the insulation on the cable from it into the body of the unit.

I cleaned it all up and it's working fine now.

Was the whistling the inverter's normal low-voltage beep, or just it dropping through audible on the 'way down' as power dropped off?

Either way, I think you've answered your own question, a poor connection had developed, increasing resistance and volt drop until the inverter didn't have enough power to function.

My question is: I've been using it while we're cruising along so have I been overloading it by giving it a supply from batteries that are being charged by the alternator? I thought it seemed logical to use it when running rather than drain the batteries by using it when moored up.

That shouldn't be a problem, surely it's a fairly normal method of use - certainly we've never had second thoughts about doing the same. Presuming the charger isn't running some bizarre equalising monster charge at 20v at the time? :lol:

PC