dutch barge sterns

Featured Posts

If often look at our stern and though about how you would go about making one, its quite a complex three dimentional curve. And very well done if you ask me.

- Its also surprisingly symmetrical haivn mesured it twice this season. (for a the new curtain, and the 'seat' im just in the middle of making)

- I can only imagien they did it im a simular way to they way ive seen them doing the bow of a standard narrowboat, by cuting it roughly to the right shape and bending/welding it up as they go along, and then tidying it up with an angle grinder and rubbing strakes.

Image 1 2 3

Daniel

Do you mean a luxmotor stern, with an upsweep for the prop and rudder, then a return section coming up to make a bulwalk?

Not all dutch barges have anything like this. My Isselaak has no retrousse sections at all, my fiance's Tjalk has them front and stern, but no counter section.

Both our boats are very old, and the shape is formed by individual overlapping plates, riveted together. This is on top of very substantial framing.