What would you do?

compassrose

Featured Posts

Hi all - First post and this topic has probably been done to death already so if so I'm sorry and please point me in the right direction! This is my scenario: My home is a fair distance from the network, in south wales. I'm early retired, independent and currently looking for my first boat. My time is pretty much my own. When I find the right boat I will want to progressively explore the system, spending a couple of weeks at a time on the boat before (reluctantly) returning home for a few days to check all is well etc. Should I aim to CC (legitimately) and leave the boat in a different marina/yard along my route for the duration of my visit home on the basis that I would be wasting my money on a (permanent) marina/yard mooring since I will be on my allocated mooring infrequently? It seems to me that in my circumstances it might be more sensible and convenient using the short term mooring facilities of marinas en route (albeit paying a small premium) - am I trying to re-invent the wheel here? and is this the general rationale behind CCing? I'm struggling to see the overall benefit of a home mooring - probably costing about £1800 and then feeling obliged to returning to it by way of justification! What do you lot reckon? Am I missing something here?

Cheers

David

Hi all - First post and this topic has probably been done to death already so if so I'm sorry and please point me in the right direction! This is my scenario: My home is a fair distance from the network, in south wales. I'm early retired, independent and currently looking for my first boat. My time is pretty much my own. When I find the right boat I will want to progressively explore the system, spending a couple of weeks at a time on the boat before (reluctantly) returning home for a few days to check all is well etc. Should I aim to CC (legitimately) and leave the boat in a different marina/yard along my route for the duration of my visit home on the basis that I would be wasting my money on a (permanent) marina/yard mooring since I will be on my allocated mooring infrequently? It seems to me that in my circumstances it might be more sensible and convenient using the short term mooring facilities of marinas en route (albeit paying a small premium) - am I trying to re-invent the wheel here? and is this the general rationale behind CCing? I'm struggling to see the overall benefit of a home mooring - probably costing about £1800 and then feeling obliged to returning to it by way of justification! What do you lot reckon? Am I missing something here?

Cheers

David

Seems like a good idea to me

Welcome David.

Have you thought what you'd do in the winter? Would you still carry on cruising? What would happen if you got snowed in at home and couldn't get to the boat (or if you needed a spell in hospital).

Some marinas will offer winter moorings as will BW.

Why not use the generally free seven and fourteen day public moorings during the summer whilst you pop home for a couple of days - how would you do that - and then find a winter mooring when required?

Guest wanted

I guess it would be a case of weighing up cost vs security/peace of mind. A non res marina may offer security and there will be somebody about who'll keep an eye on things. That said if you are not going to be on it then there is no point. Maybe try the cc route and if it goes belly up then find a permanent mooring.

welcome to the forum

:lol:

I cced for years, whilst living in a house, always leaving my boat near to railway stations, in order to get home.

I covered pretty much the whole navigable system, doing this.

seconded....

Juno will have a home mooring, but I bet this will happen with us

I cced for years, whilst living in a house, always leaving my boat near to railway stations, in order to get home.

I covered pretty much the whole navigable system, doing this.

likewise

i would leave the boat from sunday night to friday night, always choose a suitable mooring away from the busy points

the only time i had any problems were: untied at gnosall, pickett's lock and newark (chain held her there as we'd foreseen trouble / lock keeper suggested it) and our dear friend Mr Finch paid us a visit at the end of the visitor moorings north of norton junction.

that was over a 9 year period

My home is a fair distance from the network, in south wales. I'm early retired, independent and currently looking for my first boat.

Hi David. In your position, I'd sell the house. Or, if you want/need to keep it, maybe rent it out, so that it's no longer a problem and a money drain on your resouirces. If you're retired, and independent, you'd get to spend more time on the boat, enjoying yourself. rather than travelling on trains. which is less than enjoyable and expensive. we think of our boat as more of a home than our house ever was.

good luck to you.

Hi David. In your position, I'd sell the house. Or, if you want/need to keep it, maybe rent it out, so that it's no longer a problem and a money drain on your resouirces. If you're retired, and independent, you'd get to spend more time on the boat, enjoying yourself. rather than travelling on trains. which is less than enjoyable and expensive. we think of our boat as more of a home than our house ever was.

good luck to you.

No don't sell the house. What you are planning is very possible. You don't need a permament mooring even in winter. We have been cruising like this for years. We have lodgers in our house with room for ourselves when it's not convenient to be on the boat.. We leave the boat against the towpath.

Sue

No don't sell the house.

entirely fair enough, Sue. however, the OP asked what *I* would do.

I'm enjoying the freedom of having no letterbox for bills to plop through, very much.

I also wake up every morning, very happy that i don't have to mow the lawn, Watch the neighbours cats

crap in my garden, or suffer their little angels (kids) on my property. I'm especially pleased I don't have

to be treated like a meat parcel on a train. Not paying council tax for people to squander on projects i don't

agree with, is priceless. But what makes me most happy, I mean really happy, is the rocking motion, the

reflections of water on cabin roof, and the sheer tranquility of it all. When everybody buggers off for their

tea, we have the world to ourselves.

I don't think i'll ever go back to a house again.

*shrugs*

Sounds like a good plan to me. I certainly would not bother with a marina as this makes CCing round the system very difficult as you would be wasting time returning to your marina. As more marinas are being built more space has become available for winter mooring or as mentioned you can take winter moorings anywhere with BW. I left my house empty and used to visit about every two months that was 3 years ago I have not been back to the house for over one year though my children do visit every now and again for post etc. and during the winter just to check that the heating etc is working.

Thanks everyone - thats some really helpful advice and on the basis of which I think I will use the marinas as a convenience rather than necessity and pop into one now and again when I leave the boat for a trip home particularly if I feel the boat might be vulnerable on a temporary canalside mooring. All I have to do now is come to terms with doing the boat/train/car shuffle!! Oh and find the right boat of course! :lol: