Rylards Standard BlackTar

Featured Posts

Rylards bitumen products are good. A combination of Premium Protect and Rytex layers works best.

The wisdom on the forum when I asked about doing my boat was to have a sandwich of Premium then Rytex then Premium. Premium is thinner, so covers better on the first coat. Rytex is the thick protective layer. Then more Premium on the top as it's more diesel resistant.

I was also given the same advice from Rylards, they also said that the Premium was "more aggressive" at bonding to the old blacking (Rytex in my case). I followed this advice and did as they suggested except that I finished with a top coat of Rytex as I prefer the mat finish. This was well over two years ago and when we had a quick lift out a couple of weeks ago for a prop change the blacking still looked in very good condition and fit for at least another year.

• 2 weeks later...

Re Rylards Rytex - I had this stuff put on in March of this year, on the tin it says it is a pleasent satin finish, in my case it has turned a matt grey colour which as I am a fully paid up member of the shiney boat brigade I do not find pleasent at all and have been to B and Q today and bought some Hammerite Garage door paint in Black and will be painting over the Rytex with this stuff, I have used it in the past above the water line and it stays glossy and is very easy to apply and re coat when you have bumped into various canal furniture.

The Rytex below the water line is another story, at the moment it is bubbleing nicely and falling off in great chunks.

According to Rylards it is due to the hull of my boat having been primed from new with a epoxy primer. This primer is beige in colour and obviously sticks out like a sore thumb where the rytex has fallen off around the water line. The jury is still out at the moment ????

Re Rylards Rytex - I had this stuff put on in March of this year, on the tin it says it is a pleasent satin finish, in my case it has turned a matt grey colour which as I am a fully paid up member of the shiney boat brigade I do not find pleasent at all and have been to B and Q today and bought some Hammerite Garage door paint in Black and will be painting over the Rytex with this stuff, I have used it in the past above the water line and it stays glossy and is very easy to apply and re coat when you have bumped into various canal furniture.

The Rytex below the water line is another story, at the moment it is bubbleing nicely and falling off in great chunks.

According to Rylards it is due to the hull of my boat having been primed from new with a epoxy primer. This primer is beige in colour and obviously sticks out like a sore thumb where the rytex has fallen off around the water line. The jury is still out at the moment ????

To save me looking is Rytex bitumen or tar, thanks :lol:

Hull blackings in general, of the single pack variety anyway, don't bond well to primers. There are primers which are supposed to be 'suitable', but I've yet to see a boat where it has worked well.

We use Premium Protection as a final coat, over Rytex, mainly because they do claim some diesel resistance for it but also because it's nice & shiny and does stay that way for a little while :lol:

Have you tried blacking with bitumen over your garage door paint yet? Or will your boat have a garage finish for evermore?

Tim

The boat did have the Hammerite above the waterline prior to it being blacked with Rytex in March but I am not sure how much of the Hammerite got blasted off when the hull was pressure washed prior to the rytex blacking, I know it may seem strange using the garage door paint above the waterline but when I first used it was about the only gloss black paint I could find at that time but I did find it very easy to apply and it did not react with what was put on the boat previously (some bitumen based paint).