Boat Electrics.

Featured Posts

Whilst doing a bit of editing last night I inadvertently deleted the topic. The one where two solenoids are fitted to a Lister, there is a bit of a mystery what there function is. 'Keeping Up' origanally posted it, will everyone please try to reinstate the replys as best you can.

Apologies all round.

John O

Edited by John Orentas

Whilst doing a bit of editing last night I inadvertently deleted the topic. The one where two solenoids are fitted to a Lister, there is a bit of a mystery what there function is. 'Keeping Up' origanally posted it, will everyone please try to reinstate the replys as best you can.

Apologies all round.

John O

Hi John,

At least one of us is confused here. Do you mean the topic that was started by "Bob"? If so, the topic is still there - although I' m not sure if all the replies are still showing. Or am I thinking of the wrong one?

My original reply is also still there saying "Many engines have more than one solenoid. Mine, for example, has a "stop" solenoid that operates to turn off the fuel (interesting consequence, because it's powered from the ignition switch, if you turn off the ignition you can't stop the engine) - some have the opposite, ie one that operates to turn on the fuel - so if one of them is on the fuel line, it's essential to know which way round it works otherwise you'll never get the engine started (fuel cuts off when you try to start the engine then switches on again when you give up and go home)."

Allan

John

It's reassuring to know that it's not just me that manages to do that kind of thing I recently clicked yes a message I hadn't seen before and deleted 18 months of email correspondence in one click never to be seen again!

:lol:

My boss several years ago managed a marvellous deletion. Back in the pre-Windows era when PC's used DOS, early one morning he wanted to copy a file to a floppy disc, so he put a new disc into the drive and typed "format"; the command defaulted to "drive C" and wiped his hard drive completely. Cursing at the fact that his PC seemed to have developed a fault, he came out of his office and used my PC - with the same results, followed by the PC's of all 15 of us in the team. Shortly afterwards everyone arrived to start their day's work and he had to confess. We all had a great excuse for any work that we hadn't finished on time!

Allan

My boss several years ago managed a marvellous deletion. Back in the pre-Windows era when PC's used DOS, early one morning he wanted to copy a file to a floppy disc, so he put a new disc into the drive and typed "format"; the command defaulted to "drive C" and wiped his hard drive completely. Cursing at the fact that his PC seemed to have developed a fault, he came out of his office and used my PC - with the same results, followed by the PC's of all 15 of us in the team. Shortly afterwards everyone arrived to start their day's work and he had to confess. We all had a great excuse for any work that we hadn't finished on time!

Allan

once is an accident, twice is careless, three times...... :lol:

Hi John,

At least one of us is confused here. Do you mean the topic that was started by "Bob"? If so, the topic is still there - although I' m not sure if all the replies are still showing. Or am I thinking of the wrong one?

My original reply is also still there saying "Many engines have more than one solenoid. Mine, for example, has a "stop" solenoid that operates to turn off the fuel (interesting consequence, because it's powered from the ignition switch, if you turn off the ignition you can't stop the engine) - some have the opposite, ie one that operates to turn on the fuel - so if one of them is on the fuel line, it's essential to know which way round it works otherwise you'll never get the engine started (fuel cuts off when you try to start the engine then switches on again when you give up and go home)."

Allan

Hi Allan.

Yes you did link to the correct original post, things have all get very messy now, my fault entirely. The point I have been trying to make is that a boat engine should carry on running even when the electrical power is totally removed. The original problem was flagged up because it was found that the later type of 'Health and safety' compliant engines will shut down at the first sign of perceived danger i.e. and when the power is removed from the Stop solenoid the engine will shut down.

There are of course many diesel engines produced now that rely on electronic gizmo's and various controllers without which the engine cannot run anyway. Fantastic in cars and vans but disastrous when fitted into boats, let's hope everyone is sensible enough not to go down that road but I think that is a forlorn hope.

The point I have been trying to make is that a boat engine should carry on running even when the electrical power is totally removed. The original problem was flagged up because it was found that the later type of 'Health and safety' compliant engines will shut down at the first sign of perceived danger i.e. and when the power is removed from the Stop solenoid the engine will shut down.

There are of course many diesel engines produced now that rely on electronic gizmo's and various controllers without which the engine cannot run anyway. Fantastic in cars and vans but disastrous when fitted into boats, let's hope everyone is sensible enough not to go down that road but I think that is a forlorn hope.

I totally agree with you John. Engines should be ( a ) simple and ( b ) foolproof. The last thing you want when a problem occurs, is also to find yourself without an engine. For exmple, nobody would drive a car that left you without power, or brakes, or steering, or suspension, all at once (except if it was a Citroen of course!).

Similarly I liked the way that the Lister gearbox in my previous boat would lock itself into forward gear if the hydraulic power failed. The PRM in Keeping Up does have a get-you-home facility in case the hydraulics fail, but it needs quite a bit of work with a selection of tools to engage it and first I'd have to find the manual, because naturally I haven't used that facillity before so I can't remember what you have to do.

Edited by Keeping Up

Engines should be ( a ) simple and ( b ) foolproof. The last thing you want when a problem occurs, is also to find yourself without an engine.

I had to remove the stereo from a Smart car for repair. Without the stereo the engine would not run!!! It has to be removed with ignition on or the whole vehicle is disabled. Imagine that, some lowlife nicks your stereo, and to add insult to injury you're walking home. I presume the bloke who designed this has a degree and is paid a lot more than I am, INEXCUSABLE!

Imagine that, some lowlife nicks your stereo, and to add insult to injury you're walking home.

:lol: Thats halairously retarded!

What on earth is the point in that, it doesnt acheave anythink

- Now if the radio dissabled itself when it was removed, that would be more sensable!