Boat pricing

real_vibes

Featured Posts

What if the boat was well blacked and looked after but.....

Poor access resulted in water inside the hill causing corrosion?

I have been emailed the reciept and it states new 6mm plate and is from a reputable builder.

I hate to be the bearer of Gloom, but I would seriously walk away from this boat. I know of two examples where the bottom plate on Mike Heywood boats was not not properly welded to the sides, resulting in water geting into the bilges. Both cases were boats built in the early 1990's and resulted in resulted in legal court cases for compensation.

I cannot give any details of the boats in question, but the Marine Surveyor, who undertook the hull survey for our boat when we bought it, was the technical advisor for both cases. What I can say is that if the boat you are looking at suffered from similar construction faults it could explain the need for a replacement bottom plate.

Edited by David Schweizer

I hate to be the bearer of Gloom, but I would seriously walk away from this boat. I know of two examples where the bottom plate on Mike Heywood boats was not not properly welded to the sides, resulting in water geting into the bilges. Both cases were boats built in the early 1990's and resulted in resulted in legal court cases for compensation.

I cannot give any details of the boats in question, but the Marine Surveyor, who undertook the hull survey for our boat when we bought it, was the technical advisor for both cases. What I can say is that if the boat you are looking at suffered from similar construction faults it could explain the need for a replacement bottom plate.

Would you be able to put me in touch with him? A PM would be great, I see you are from BUA, did you buy the boat locally?

True, but why scrimp with a 6mm bottom plate, 10mm is now the industry standard

Or, if the old bottom is under the new, excess draught on the resulting boat ?

I do agree with David - I don't accept the "normality" of needing to re-bottom a boat that has had only marginal steel loss from it's hull-sides.

Unless you can get a more plausible explanation than poor insulation / excess condensation, then walk away.

The boat still seems too expensive to me, even without these issues.