Dry Dock Locations

anne

Featured Posts

Does anyone know of a dry dock anywhere on the system between York & Leeds. We need to get the bottom blacked next spring on our boat. As it is a 58' narrowboat and weighs I belive around 17 ton, the cranes in our area (York Ouse) would not be big enough! Also is it an easy enough job to do ourselves or would it be wise to get a pro to do it! (the blacking that is!)

Cheers!

Anne

Hi Anne,

Sorry I can't help as regards the location of a drydock in your area but the job of blacking is easy enough.

I have found it best with radiator roller refills (approx 4" long) which can be discarded after each coat.

If you can get the drydock people to pressure wash the hull all well and good but if not, a long handled scraper from B&Q or similar can get most of the loose stuff off as the water level is just below the top of your wellies

My boat is 62' and takes approx 3 hours per coat single-handed up to the top rubbing strake not doing the base plate.

If you need any more info, feel free to p.m. me.

Colin

p.s. The professionals I have come across only put on 2 coats but I have put on 3 each time.

Does anyone know of a dry dock anywhere on the system between York & Leeds. We need to get the bottom blacked next spring on our boat. As it is a 58' narrowboat and weighs I belive around 17 ton, the cranes in our area (York Ouse) would not be big enough! Also is it an easy enough job to do ourselves or would it be wise to get a pro to do it! (the blacking that is!)

Cheers!

Anne

Have you tried asking at Naburn? I think their travelhoist can handle this weight.

Otherwise - I think there is a dry dock at Thorne.

Cheers!

Anne

Try Selby Boat Centre - they advertise bottom blacking among other services and are ideally located just along from Selby lock.

www.selby-boat-centre.co.uk

HTH

Howard Anguish

I have found it best with radiator roller refills (approx 4" long) which can be discarded after each coat.

- If you can get the drydock people to pressure wash the hull all well and good but if not, a long handled scraper from B&Q or similar can get most of the loose stuff off as the water level is just below the top of your wellies

Yeah, the 4" 'mini rollers' are good. Thats what we used when doing our cabin.

You should be able to hire/borrow a presure-washer/jetter, eather from the boat yard, or a 'freind-of-a-freind' or a hireshop. - Its well worth the cost, lost easyer that scraping.

- Get on it as soon as the boat comes out of the water, and keep the boat damp untill you've finised jetting down the whole lot. (also, wear a full set of waterproofs/overtrousers/wellies)

Daniel

Yeah, the 4" 'mini rollers' are good. Thats what we used when doing our cabin.

You should be able to hire/borrow a presure-washer/jetter, eather from the boat yard, or a 'freind-of-a-freind' or a hireshop. - Its well worth the cost, lost easyer that scraping.

- Get on it as soon as the boat comes out of the water, and keep the boat damp untill you've finised jetting down the whole lot. (also, wear a full set of waterproofs/overtrousers/wellies)

Daniel

We bought half decent pressure washer from Argos-cheaper than hiring.

We bought half decent pressure washer from Argos-cheaper than hiring.

Yeah, thats another alternative, only have to be a little bit carefull and some of the cheaper 'presure' washers can be a bit usless. (ive seen them as low as £14.99 before now:wacko:)

But still, if you have know somone who has a good one, im sure they'd lend it.

- My grandad (not the one with the boat) has a semi-industral kartcher, which works a treat, even if the presure release valve is geting a bit sticky after 10years)

Daniel

Thanks for all your help!

Alister, I'll pop over to Naburn to see what they can do...It would be the best option for us as it is close to our mooring. We did enquire about cranage when we got our boat a couple of years ago & I thought there crane would take up to 15 tons...hopefully I got that wrong! I think we'll have a go at doing it ourselves aswell....we'll have to organise a boat blacking party!!!

Cheers

Anne