confused what is 60/40 on diesel

MrCJ

Featured Posts

You forget that most of us use the propulsion engine as a CHP system. On my boat much of the waste heat is utilised in the heating of the living area and the heating of domestic water. The battery charging is just part of the picture. I hate running the engine in neutral though :-(

When I bought a tank of diesel from an oil boat in 2008 he said that 80% non prop was a good average. Without further thought I believed him and bought a few lots at this. After a bit I then did a calculation for myself and found that the standard split is quite generous in our case. We don't spend a lot of time on the boat attached to the towpath.

Like you, Mr Catweasel, we use our propulsion plant as CHP but you cannot actually use a huge amount of the H that is given off. You and the calorifier would get much too hot.

What I would like is enough PV panels on the roof to supply all my needs so that I never have to run the engine when stopped.

N