Self Pump Out

nb maggie

Featured Posts

Does anyone do their own pump-outs?

On the L&L all the waste disposal locations have notices saying self pump-out is not allowed.

I was therefore thinking of pumping out into a small plastic drum which I can then empty like a cassette toilet. I was also thinking of doing this from inside down the loo to avoid upsetting anyone at the mooring or on the bank.

Anyone got any experience or suggestions and which pumps do you use?

Where abouts on the L&L? I do know that there is a self PO at White Bear Marina for which you get the credit card type thingies from there. Leesan and Midland Chandlers also do a self PO kit which you do use from the PO slot on the outside of the boat, but they can be hard work and need a lot of 'elbow grease' Although we tend to stop at either a boatyard or a self PO station, last year we did meet a couple of liveaboards who do what you are suggesting though they used the normal outlet on their boat via the self PO kit. These kits cost a little under £200 to include all the piping and fittings.

Am I right in thinking that the signs say "Not suitable for self pump-outs". Not quite the same thing. I have seen many people pumping out into these, as Bernie says you can buy a kit. There used to be a posh kit with an electric pump advertised the comics at one time, I haven't seen it for a while.

John Squeers

I think the sign "Not Suitable For Self Pump Outs" is intended to indicate that the bowl, pipe work, cess tank (some Elsan disposal points are not on the main sewer system) etc are not big enough to cope with the rapid deposit of large quantities of s***, p*** and other stuff that a powered pump out would supply. The elbow grease jobs are a different matter altogether - they are much slower than any mechanical pump.

On-Can.gif

• 1 month later...

Chris

Boats that have gone to France have had a twin systems fitted, as over in France you can still dump overboard, it's not difficult to do. You have to fit two tee fittings in the pipe from the waste tank to the pump out fitting in the gunnel. The first tee is fitted close to the tank, the second tee is fitted as close to the gunnel as possible with a valve on the under side of the tee, from this valve you connect a pipe to the top side of the tee at the tank.You now have a straight through pipe with a valve in line and two branches off tee fittings one top one bottom. From the bottom tee branch you fit a pipe to the inlet of an electric pump and from the outlet of the pump fit another valve and then a pipe from this valve to the branch in the top tee. Opening and closing the valves in sequence ie one open one closed, and vice versa, allows you to use the conventional pump out system or your inboard pump. It's advisable to have a long electric fly lead off the pump so as to be able to control it from the bank side, and you will only need a short length of pump out pipe to go from your gunnel fitting to your plastic barrel.

I hope you can follow my description as I haven't mastered how to draw diagrams on this forum's replies.

Edited by Big COL

Hi Bernie

That makes £10 sound very fair for removing 60 galls of gunk.

If you wash it in the cut there was not a lot of point in having one fitted in the first place.

And i thought i was being crude having a urinal fitted in the engine room and draining through the side. :D

Edited by Richard Bustens

If you wash it in the cut there was not a lot of point in having one fitted in the first place.

And i thought i was being crude having a urinal fitted in the engine room and draining through the side. :)

Now Richard, do you want me to draw a diagram? :D The end that attaches to the PO point on the side of the boat is dipped into the canal if there is no better water supply, the other end is left in situ at the outlet point eg:Elsan disposal, then we use the hand pump to pump the cleaner water through the pipe.

Also if you put some clean water into the holding tank you can pump that through as well several times.