Help needed

cabinfixer

Featured Posts

Hi. can anyone recommend an electrician in the Stone area on the Trent and Mersey, Travel power has gone dead and need to keep wifes insulin at a cool temperature.

We are traveling back to Ely at the moment but might have to hold up for a while until the problem is fixed.

All advice welcome.

Thanks Roger.

Hi. can anyone recommend an electrician in the Stone area on the Trent and Mersey, Travel power has gone dead and need to keep wifes insulin at a cool temperature.

We are traveling back to Ely at the moment but might have to hold up for a while until the problem is fixed.

All advice welcome.

Thanks Roger.

I did mention this to someone else..?...there is a small fuse....5 amp that is worth checking.

There is a very light weight wire...red usually...that runs from the control box to the battery positive. This wire is specified as needing a 5 amp fuse...and its often just an 'inline' type rather than on a proper panel. Worth following this wire and finding the fuse.

Bob

Thank you both for replies, I managed to find a local boat electrician to look at the travel power, after all the usual tests it seems that the generator has given up, only eight months old.

Now to get it sorted under warranty.

Roger

Hopefully you'll get it sorted under the warranty then!

I was going to mention, as an aside, that most recombinant DNA human insulin can survive out of the fridge for remarkably long periods, at least a month for my Humalog and Lantus. I can admit too, that I've the odd tube knocking around an overnight/laptop bag which gets used eventually when I run out of usual supplies, which'll have been out of the fridge for months.

The same might not go for people still using animal insulin, mind.

Thought it might help reduce the worry. Again, the above is my own experience, and I'm not a doctor...

PC

Thank you both for replies, I managed to find a local boat electrician to look at the travel power, after all the usual tests it seems that the generator has given up, only eight months old.

Now to get it sorted under warranty.

Roger

The generator can fail to self-excite occasionally on some models or after not being used for a while. The remedy is to run the engine at max revs for a short time whilst switching the travelpower on with the main switch. Sometimes having a reasonablly high wattage 240 volt appliance switched on while you do this helps.

Worth a try?

Hopefully you'll get it sorted under the warranty then!

I was going to mention, as an aside, that most recombinant DNA human insulin can survive out of the fridge for remarkably long periods, at least a month for my Humalog and Lantus. I can admit too, that I've the odd tube knocking around an overnight/laptop bag which gets used eventually when I run out of usual supplies, which'll have been out of the fridge for months.

The same might not go for people still using animal insulin, mind.

Thought it might help reduce the worry. Again, the above is my own experience, and I'm not a doctor...

PC

Building on Paul's offering.....do you have a hole in the floor so you can sit the insulin on the boat's bottom plate.

Again, not a doctor/nurse etc. - just possibly a short term expedient.

Perhaps a 'phone call to NHS Direct will reveal better advice than any on here :lol:

.....for keeping and/or extra supply of the insulin, that is, not the TravelPower :lol:

Edited by dave69700

Building on Paul's offering.....do you have a hole in the floor so you can sit the insulin on the boat's bottom plate.

Again, not a doctor/nurse etc. - just possibly a short term expedient.

Perhaps a 'phone call to NHS Direct will reveal better advice than any on here :lol:

Is a vacuum flask or freezer bag/ coolbox a helpful suggeston?

I'm afraid I know little about Insulin

but thought I'd put my penn'th worth

good luck with everything!!

Perhaps an experiment at home some time

With a coolbox, Ice pack and thermometer!!