Living afloat as it used to be!

richardf

Featured Posts

I remember that picture from the other thread (let's face it, it's not easy to forget) but had not realised that it was one of the Basingstoke conversions. Hardly a thing of beauty, is it?

I remember that picture from the other thread (let's face it, it's not easy to forget) but had not realised that it was one of the Basingstoke conversions. Hardly a thing of beauty, is it?

It was once......

I bet Carl can look at it, and see its potential!

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=1184

I thought this was great - shame to see them in a state nowadays!

This is the film made of the boats converted by "Floating homes Ltd". They did a deal with James Yates of Norton Cnes Docks to aquire a large number of ex joey boats for conversion. The scheme was a success and further boats were aquired some from other sources. Back in the 1980's there was a line of these craft above the first lock, all looked a bit tired and with things moving on, so did they. There are some still about, instantly recogonisable by the overbeam conversion, however there day must be numbered now. There were some interesting boats in that stretch in te 1980's including "Adelina" and some sunk, not used buttys.

gallery_5000_522_17701.jpg

gallery_5000_522_130199.jpg

gallery_5000_522_133528.jpg

A ballroom? Of course! Why didn't I think of that? I'll add it to the plans for out boat straight away.

MP.

I noticed that! Good idea isn't it... I wonder whether I could squeeze one in on the good ship....

What a super video!

Wonderful film . I lived on my modern steel nb above lock 2 for three years , having bought and sold one of the old boats ( the one that's now at Boxmoor ) to get the mooring . There are a few of the original boats still there but the hulls have long since been either wrapped in plastic sheeting or been placed in a simple steel hull .

Coincidentally , just this weekend I towed a new steel nb shell up to the mooring next door to my old one for my former neighbour . This , when fitted out , will replace one of the few remaining original conversions . Anyone want to buy a piece of history ? This one is ex-BCN and the owner knows the BCN number . PM me if you wish to be put in touch .

The text on the Pathe page casts doubt on the filming location . I can confirm that it was filmed at Scotland Bridge , West Byfleet , just below lock 2

Duncan

Great to see an old film like that, it clearly shows that a lot can be done with little means. In those good old days one could still sort of tie-up wherever one fancied.

Living on a boat in those days was living in liberty, when most of the now days over-regulated rules didn't exist.

Peter.