Victron Travel Power Interface

chrish

Featured Posts

Newbie, first post so please be gentle

We are planning our live aboard boat at the moment, and I was against using a Travel Power unit for generating mains electricity for powering washing machines etc and looking at having a separate diesel generator installed.

I have decided on a Victron Quattro with the two AC inputs one for shore line the other for the generator.

Whilst browsing through the Victron website I came cross this Victron 1140 interface unit Victron White Paper that monitors the output of Travel Power units and using the power assist feature of the Quattro to supplement the output of the Travel Power unit when the engine is running at low revs and the full output is not available.

Has anyone had any experience of or comments on this unit?

Chris H

I have no experience of these system at all.

However two thoughts that come in to my mind are.

1)Would you ever run the generator while plugged into the mains? Becuase if not, why not just have a changeover switch, unless the quattro is the same price as the equivalent single input unit and a switch. (this may well be the case, in which case, quattro all the way)

2)The travelpower units are all, ulitmatly, a large alternator paired with and inveter. In which case, dont buy a travel power and a victron interface unit, buy a bog standard large alternator and put the remaining into a larger rated quattro box.

Daniel

If that's going to be your chosen route then to me it makes much more sense to just pulley the Travel Power up properly so that it doesn't suffer low output power at low engine RPM. It's not even a difficult task unless you're on a vintage slow revving engine.

Engine + generator, gives better flexibility.

This is ofcause true and maybe a consideration.

- It also ofcause provides power without running the main engine, which will probably be more fuel efficient and quieter.

- However it may well be the most expensive option, compaired with a travelpower, or a second large 12v alternator.

Partly i would suggest there it depends on the expected usage. If your going to live aboard for long periods without moving the boat or having shore power i very much lean to a generator. Fully plumbed in, acoustic box, etc. However if like us the number of days your on the boat without moving a substantial distance can be counted on the fingars of one hand. It may make more sence to go down the line of using the propusion engine.

Daniel

Personaly I see no big advantage of the travelpower over a good inverter and large alternator. I spent some time when building my boat on the different options and as a live aboard I went for generator and victron 3000-120 multiplus, the quatro was not available at the time.

I'm not sure though if the expense of a quatro would be justified, with generator or travelpower for large loads one of the smaller muli-plus units would be more than ample.

Edited to add: The multi-plus units have power assist.

Edited by Radio-Ga-Ga

Personaly I see no big advantage of the travelpower over a good inverter and large alternator. I spent some time when building my boat on the different options and as a live aboard I went for generator and victron 3000-120 multiplus, the quatro was not available at the time.

I'm not sure though if the expense of a quatro would be justified, with generator or travelpower for large loads one of the smaller muli-plus units would be more than ample.

Edited to add: The multi-plus units have power assist.

Same as us, Victron 24-3000-70 Multiplus and 100A 24v alternator. Victron used for 230v lighting, very efficient and has never missed a beat in 5 years liveaboard. We also use a Kipor 2kva Digi petrol genny as backup and occasional battery equalising, get through about 5- 10lt of petrol per month stored in a spare gas locker. Power assist on Victron is handy for adjusting load on Kipor to stop it exceeding it's nominal output.

Edited by nb Innisfree