Ashby Canals demise 1950's

imnogeek

Featured Posts

Recently at the pub a friend showed me some photo's of the Ashby Canal taken by his father-in-law in the 1950's. They are mostly taken around the Measham and Oakthorpe area just before the canal closed here. He and his wife have kindly given me permission to scan these to make them available to all that may be interested so I am posting them here as well as sending copies to the Measham Museum.

I have scanned them without taking them from the albums they were in so that the remarks and descriptions are with the photos. I have also included the non-canal pictures as these help to show the larger picture.

I am local and will try to help with any question about the pictures or where they were taken.

ash0001.jpg

ash0002.jpg

ash0003.jpg

ash0004.jpg

ash0005.jpg

ash0006.jpg

ash0007.jpg

ash0008.jpg

ash0009.jpg

ash0010.jpg

ash0011.jpg

Edited by imnogeek

Recently at the pub a friend showed me some photo's of the Ashby Canal taken by his father-in-law in the 1950's. They are mostly taken around the Measham and Oakthorpe area just before the canal closed here. He and his wife have kindly given me permission to scan these to make them available to all that may be interested so I am posting them here as well as sending copies to the Measham Museum.

I have scanned them without taking them from the albums they were in so that the remarks and descriptions are with the photos. I have also included the non-canal pictures as these help to show the larger picture.

I am local and will try to help with any question about the pictures or where they were taken.

ash0002.jpg

ash0003.jpg

These two photographs are of particular interest to me as they are not of an ice boat, but are of an iron horse boat / butty in the process of being dismantled. Looks ex-F.M.C. Ltd. to me - but which one ?

These are absolutely fascinating, especially as I recognise some of the locations - I lived in nearby Packington for many years. I'm sure that one of the waterways magazines would be interested in publishing them.

These are absolutely fascinating, especially as I recognise some of the locations - I lived in nearby Packington for many years. I'm sure that one of the waterways magazines would be interested in publishing them.

After much discussion with Pete Harrison and bouncing images back and forth there seems to be no doubt that the full length boat being dismantled is in fact made from two boats. The hull as far as the back cabin is a FMC butty (probably a Braithewaite) but the stern is without question from a Bantock early style horse boat. The central rubbing strake and lack of rise to the pintle emphasise that it is not a FMC stern. Curious match to be seen! It is shown floating in the background of the photo entitled "Seg" and careful anaysis of that picture reveals the joining. A real mystery!