Binoculars...Spotting scopes.

Featured Posts

Need to leave heavy hints to Jan as to what to get me for forthcoming birthday in 2 weeks.

Have always wanted a decent pair of binoculars or a spotting scope.

Price limit needs to be up to around £200,

Any recommendations....?? preferably as ever based on personal experience.

Thanks all in advance.

Need to leave heavy hints to Jan as to what to get me for forthcoming birthday in 2 weeks.

Thanks all in advance.

Have you been getting a job for BW Martin

Thanks all in advance.

I've got a pair of Leica 10x25 binoculars. they are superb. about £250 when I bought them around 10 years ago.

Carl Zeiss is the only other make I can think of as standing out from the crowd. I once got a pair of Carl Zeiss Jenoptem 10x50's for £10 in a charity shop and sold for £65 on ebay despite the fact there was a 'spider' on one of the lenses.

The 10x25s are a bit wobbly that's the only thing and limited field of vision but for a pair of pocket binoculars they are seriously good kit imo.

they are Leica Trinovid.

Thanks all in advance.

Well the best of luck in your quest.

It really is a minefield choosing a good pair that you will be happy with.

It took me ages to sort out what would be best for me and in the end iIended up with two pairs, one for my pocket and one to get a bit more serious.

Best advice I could give is have a look at this site.

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics.html

It might give you an idea or two.

Nipper

I have a pair of Bushnell Legend porro-prism 8 x 42 bins, they are rubber armed, nitrogen filled and have very bright, water repellent lenses. I would agree that Leica are probably in the top 5 along with Swarovski and Steiner, but in my opinion, Bushnell are right there with them.

See http://www.bushnelloutdoorproducts.eu/www_...d-porro/190842/

Do not make the mistake of biggest magnification is best, for the magnification will be offset by hand shake. Do try a pair of 8 x 50's, I used a pair recently and was impressed with the image quality and brightness - the bigger the lense = brighter optics

Happy shopping!

Rob

I got my Nikon 10x32's from Warehouse Express from their special offers - excellent service. They are a bit heavy as they were being superceeded by Nikon's lighter range but before I was able to buy, I tried lots at an RSPB Optics Event (held regularly up and down the country at various bird reserve Visitor Centres - do a search for an event near you)

I was very surprised how much manufacturer's bins. varied; what suited others didn't suit me. Even the most expensive weren't as good as the Nikons were for me. I was originally thinking of a spotting scope but I'm glad I didn't now as they are a pain to lug around and you can easily miss something by the time you set them up. They are OK in hides or if you are out for a bird spotting day but not when you are just out for a stroll.

I used mine a lot on our canal trips - really useful to see what is ahead or to have a good squint at a dishy lockie :lol: on the Severn.

Well the best of luck in your quest.

It really is a minefield choosing a good pair that you will be happy with. So true

It took me ages to sort out what would be best for me and in the end iIended up with two pairs, one for my pocket and one to get a bit more serious.

Best advice I could give is have a look at this site.

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics.html

It might give you an idea or two.

Nipper

Agreeded - excellent site - I must have read every thread on the subject before I bought mine.