Living by the K&A

waterlily

Featured Posts

I am pondering moving down to the west country to live so have to take the boat into consideration. The K&A looks wonderful though I have not cruised it yet. However, is it a dead end as far as travelling is concerned. If I only have breaks on the boat will I spend my time just travelling to Reading and back?

I am pondering moving down to the west country to live so have to take the boat into consideration. The K&A looks wonderful though I have not cruised it yet. However, is it a dead end as far as travelling is concerned. If I only have breaks on the boat will I spend my time just travelling to Reading and back?

In a word yes, and moorings ain't exactly easy to come by. The question is, would you enjoy it.

Do you live aboard? If not, the Gloucester and Sharpness is an easy drive, and much less congested

In a word yes, and moorings ain't exactly easy to come by. The question is, would you enjoy it.

Do you live aboard? If not, the Gloucester and Sharpness is an easy drive, and much less congested

No. And do not really plan to - I will buy a house somewhere but the location has to be convenient for the boat too. I will check out the G&S. To be honest I had not thought of that.

You can't compare the K&A with the Glos & Sharpness canal.

The G&S is quite boring

So is much of the K&A. especilally when you have to continually repeat the same journeys.

We live within a mile of the K&A and used to keep our boat on it, but got fed up with nearly two weeks of hard slog to get to Reading, with only limited moorings on the way. After a few years, we moved the boat to the Midlands where we have far more choice of routes, mooring, and scenery.

Edited by David Schweizer

Alot will depend on where you keep your boat I suppose, if you keep it below Devises flight it's a good few days to the Thames and its links to the rest of the network, if you keep the boat above the flight especially towards the eastern end 3.5 - 4 days will get you to the Thames from Devises, 2 -3 days from Great Bedwyn/Hungerford and a day from Newbury to the Thames. These are long days though.

If you're moored, say at Aldermaston, the Thames is a short day away, once on the Thames its 2 long days to the Oxford or two equally long days to the GU. Easy road links from that area to the west country either by the M4/M5 slog or the A30/A303

Paul

We have our boat moored at Hilperton and live in Chippenham. We can get to Bath in 1-1.5 days so is good for a short break. Can go the other way to Semington & back in an afternoon, or onto Seend in the day. For longer breaks you then go up Caen Hill and out towards Reading.

I've not got bored of it yet - but then my best mate lives in Bradford on Avon and I love Bath so it's not too bad for me :lol: