Moored on a BW mooring...

Featured Posts

Trawling the the T&C's of a BW mooring agreement I noticed it clearly says you are not guaranteed an actual particular space at the site you win an auction for. You are only seemingly guaranteed a berth at the particular site.

But quite often the auction details show a particular berth, so how does it work in practice??? do people generally stick with the space they get or do people change around as they come and go. I know I have seen boat names on signs also marked with the length of the boat but guess given the T&C's these actually have no standing on a BW mooring.

So what normally happens?

When I had a BW mooring at Fenny Stratford I was told by the warden that although in practise the moorers tend to stick to their 'own spot' the terms and conditions state that the moorer is not guaranteed a particular spot to ensure that BW had the 'right to shuffle the boats around bit' to maximise use of the moorings.

I had the mooring for about 5 years and was never asked to change my spot although a fellow (live-aboard) moorer did persuade the mooring warden to swop him around with a non-live-aboard boat so that he could get a tv picture!

Hope this helps

Ditchdabbler

That is our experience at Hatton too, but on the old mooring system. Originally we had a mooring at the bridge end, but we were encouraged to move up to the locks end by the residents. I think Tawny Owl protects other boats from people leaving the water point :lol:

We have been in the same place for years, but there is no guarantee of a particular spot, just 70' on that mooring somewhere.

Richard

There is a dispute of this kind going on at Norbury at the moment. Someone has moved onto someone elses mooring while they were getting water. The original moorers have been on that particular spot for 9 years. The other guy moors about 200 yds further on has been on his spot for 5 years, and all of a sudden he wants the nearer mooring to the pub. BW have now got involved (Rob Prigg) and has told the guy to vacate the mooring he took off the others in 14 days otherwise he will lose his mooring permit

There is a dispute of this kind going on at Norbury at the moment. Someone has moved onto someone elses mooring while they were getting water. The original moorers have been on that particular spot for 9 years. The other guy moors about 200 yds further on has been on his spot for 5 years, and all of a sudden he wants the nearer mooring to the pub. BW have now got involved (Rob Prigg) and has told the guy to vacate the mooring he took off the others in 14 days otherwise he will lose his mooring permit

But I suppose given the T&C's there is the risk that this will happen - and what right do BW have to do this given the T&C's

I was about to post a follow up saying it seems from what had been posted previously that moorers are quite disciplined and respectful of each other space and generally it will only be BW that move you, but seemingly that is not always going to be the case.