The day is almost here

kienik

Featured Posts

Well the day is tomorrow and my "new" boat is being delivered to my new mooring in Waverton Chester tomorrow morning, i bought myself a 22 ft Dawncraft, gotta meet the guy at the Slipway Pub in Burscough tomorrow at 10am, the boat will be pullted out of the water onto his trailor where it will be then moved via M6 to Goldne Nook Farm moorings.

Really excited but extremely nervous about the whole experience, never seen a boat come out of the water from a slipway and the one at said public house am i told is a bit tricky as its steep and at a funny angle........................................... anyone had experience of this slipway?

I am going to take my camera to get loads of pics, was also thinking of following the boat in my car for the journey back to Chester, BUT............ i think i will be too nervous and anxious if i sit behind it on the motorway bouncing around etc, thinking "the canopy will be torn off any minute now" or "the engine is going to come off its mounts" etc etc.

So my question is .....................

1, should if follow it back?

2, should i get as far ahead as possible and just sit in a cafe with a cuppa and wait for the boat to arrive?

i am really stuck as to what to do

nik

When we had our cruiser moved by road, we met up with the boat again at the place where we were putting the boat in. I dont think I could have followed the boat , I would have had kittens looking at her all the way .

Best bet would be to get out of the way and wait for them at the mooring.

Good luck and enjoy.

Mark

HAHA, Thanks for the replies, i think i will do as suggested, see the boat onto the trailor and strapped down then make full use of my 2.0 ltr golf gti and get well ahead of the boat, then sit and sort of relax till it gets to the mooring, not sure i will be relaxing that much tho, i will be waiting for the dreaded phone call to say the boat has fell off etc

wish me luck i will post pics tomorrow.

fingers crossed for a good haul

one bonus is that the boat is being put back into the water at Chrisleton, which is about forty five mins away from my new mooring, so i will be able to get a nice leisurely cruise on the boat back to its new home.

if anyone on here is moored at Golden Nook, any chance of a coffee when i arrive, say around 3pm ish?

Nik

1, should if follow it back?

2, should i get as far ahead as possible and just sit in a cafe with a cuppa and wait for the boat to arrive?

When we had ours transported by road we followed it for about 3hrs. We had friend detailed to take pictures from motorway bridges and we were taking pictures both front and back. It was very nerve racking - espesially when it went throught traffic lights with what looked (from behind) to be inches to spare (wide beam - 12.6 ft). Do not regret one minute of it - we have the photos and the memories of taking them. Would not have missed the journey for the wourld.

Probably doesn't help with your dilemma - just our experience.

Good luck whatever you do - just make sure you make memories.

My first boat was DC 22,my last 2 boats I bought from windermere and took pictures collecting,on the slipway and then followed back with my wife taking picture/video shots and then the final delivery.

Do not go in front, follow it you will never get another chance unless you buy another boat that needs transporting.

HAHA, Thanks for the replies, i think i will do as suggested, see the boat onto the trailor and strapped down then make full use of my 2.0 ltr golf gti and get well ahead of the boat, then sit and sort of relax till it gets to the mooring, not sure i will be relaxing that much tho, i will be waiting for the dreaded phone call to say the boat has fell off etc

wish me luck i will post pics tomorrow.

fingers crossed for a good haul

one bonus is that the boat is being put back into the water at Chrisleton, which is about forty five mins away from my new mooring, so i will be able to get a nice leisurely cruise on the boat back to its new home.

if anyone on here is moored at Golden Nook, any chance of a coffee when i arrive, say around 3pm ish?

Nik

Hi Nik,

Just seen your post so am probably a bit late....guess you're now on your way!! I'm going over there now and will keep an eye out for you. Got a kettle and coffee!!

Mine's the big blue thing you'll pass at the start of the moorings :lol:

Colin

Colin

Thanks for your reply, i know your boat well as a i have a few friends that moor at Golden Nook and have seen you boat at the start of the moorings, spoke to Roy the farmer yesterday and i am now moored between to narrowboats, mooring is a bit dodgy as the landing stage is completely rotten and every footstep puts another hole in it , however i only paid dirt cheap money for it so im happy for now,

sorry i missed you yesterday, will be at the boat tomorrow (Friday), so feel free to come and give me a coffee and bacon butty, boat is called moonshadow and is moored just after the row of three Dawncrafts in a line, they vare all painted blue and white, give me a knock as i will be in dire need for a brew,

i have a silver ford focus 2059 plate so look out for me

thanks

Nik

edited cos of rubbish grammar and spelling

Edited by kienik

Hope you got sorted, I've used Lathom Slipway and it is VERY steep, but good to hear it's being used, we loose too many slipways as it is.

I've both followed my boat and let it get ahead then caught it up, but I always used a guy who I had total confidence in. Much more nerve racking when you tow your own boat as you've only yourself to blame if something happens!!

Hope you're happily settled, you couldn't have moved your boat by water as Wigan is effectively closed at the moment due to lack of water so you've no doubt made the right decision.

Happy cruising.