Morso Stove argues with Aldi boiler

nbtafelberg

Featured Posts

Dear All,

Our heating system used to be on the back of our Squirrel stove, it never worked, the radiators were just air locked all the time and never got warm.

I had a gas fitter come round and plumb the radiators into the aldi boiler we have at the other end of the boat.

no problems - Turn on aldi boiler get heat from radiators.....

That was, until we ran out of gas, so we put the stove on.

Even if you switch the aldi boiler completely off it still makes a racket when the stove is on....

SALOON GALLEY BATHROOM BEDROOM 1 BEDROOM 2 ...etc

STOVE -----------------RAD1 ----------RAD2 ---------RAD3 --- ALDI BOILER

Thats the layout roughly

Can anyone help me shut up my boiler when I'm trying to sleep???

Do I need to install a Rad pump near the stove? There was one there but it was badly plumbed in which resulted in the air locks so has been removed.

Paul

Hi

I dont think that is a wise thing to do, as it will have oneway valves and other things to go through,

And i suspect it will run ok with the Aldi as there will be no restrictions in the boiler on the solid fule stove.

Suspect the best thing would be to put a link pipe at the Aldi end it would need three stop taps to isolate the Aldi from the system.

Onn tap the Aldi side of the link on the flow and return and one in the link so you can close the one in the link and open the other two when you use the Aldi and open the link and close both in the feed lines when you use the other.

SALOON GALLEY BATHROOM BEDROOM 1 BEDROOM 2 ...etc

STOVE -----------------RAD1 ----------RAD2 ---------RAD3 -----x---- ALDI

| -------------------------------------------------------------------|<-bypass

| -------------------------------------------------------------------x valve

|__________________________________________|

return

(note: dotted lines are not pipes - just there to space out drawing )

As John suggests you have a reversal of flows with the two boilers. I have shown a way that you can isolate the aldi and use the stove, and vice versa. It will require you to fit a valved bypass after the last rad and before the aldi, between the flow and return from the aldi. also a valve on the flow after the bypass and before the aldi. To use the stove you open the valve on the bypass and close the valve on the flow. To use the aldi you close the valve on the bypass and open the valve on the flow. I have adapted your drawing to show the position of the two valves. In doing this you must be absolutely CERTAIN that you are not cutting off the supply from the header tank. The aldi has its own combined header tank so if you isolate the aldi as I have suggested the stove must have a header tank to allow for the expansion. This is an absolute must. It can be connected into the return where you fit the bypass. You didn't say how your rads are plumbed - if they are not plumbed for a gravity system then you will need a pump on the system when you use the stove. This can also go in the bypass pipe. Hope this is of some help

Best Regards

Colin

Edited by Big COL

This is getting very, very complicated. Why not get an extra gas bottle and make sure you replace the empty one as soon as it becomes empty? I know that means self discipline which rather goes against the grain of laid back life on a boat but it's so simple.

KISS, KISS, KISS

:)

Okay okay

Right -- what we've done is I went down to my friends at the Locker and bought a Gas Regulator (our one is VERY old) about £35 and a new gauge so we can now see when mr gas bottle is running out before it runs out.

I'll go replace the other two spares shortly.... the thing is i do like having the stove on.... it is cheaper to run than the gas i think.

I agree with Big Col's suggestion for a manual valved bypass, which would be simple to operate. I have a direct engine supply to my hot water system (yes the same water in the engine also circulate around the radiators and heats the domestic water) together with an Ellis heatmaster Gas boiler. I have five valves and a one way check valve in the system to either permit or prevent heat getting to various parts depending on what the requirements are at the time. It has never been a problem.

Paul

Re your last post, if you do decide to do the alteration, the bypass has to be at the aldi end as close as you can get it to the aldi. Not on the back of the stove as this will not work and you will need two valves as shown in yesterday,s drawing, as I said just clarifying your last post.