Aldi Slim Boiler

Featured Posts

I would be interested to hear the (professional) explanation behind this statement.

it clogs the joint and therefore doesn't produce the bubble effect properly that leak detection fluid does, LDF is a thinner liquid and i believe there is also an issue with some WUL's corroding copper.

i'm sure there is a deffinative answer on this one but can't quote you the right BS on it without researching it (which A. is boring and B. i can't be arsed!!) not necessarily in that order :lol:

The OP says it is difficult to light the pilot in the first place. Could it be simply that the pilot light jet itself has become slightly blocked, so that when it has finally been lit the flame is too small to operate the thermocouple?

Could well be.

- Our paloma (standard non room sealed affair) as a plunger on the left hand side which you press to clean the pilot.

Daniel

it clogs the joint and therefore doesn't produce the bubble effect properly that leak detection fluid does, LDF is a thinner liquid and i believe there is also an issue with some WUL's corroding copper.

i'm sure there is a deffinative answer on this one but can't quote you the right BS on it without researching it (which A. is boring and B. i can't be arsed!!) not necessarily in that order :lol:

Thank you (the corrosion issue I was aware of, not the rest of it)

Edited to add - I have always thinned down my WUL before checking a joint with it - and washed it off thoroughly afterwards.

Further addition: for electricity I have bits of paper that say I'm competent; I work on both my own and other people's electrics. For gas I have merely the evidence of not yet having blown myself up, but I don't and won't work on other peple's gas systems.

Edited by Keeping Up

if the appliance is a:

Alde 2927 slimline

then take great care in repairing this boiler as it on the list of potentially dangerous boilers being positive pressure fan assisted the case seals MUST be inspected for damage EVERY time it is serviced.

the problem of flame failure is either

1 as already mentioned a Thermcouple failing

or a partial blockage of the pilot

both require a competent person to repair. this means Gassafe registered with Boats on his ticket.

advising someone to undertake gas work especially on LPG is both Dangerous and Stupid. unless they have the requisite equipment to test afterwards how do they know they have not left a gas leak with the resulting danger of an explosion.

i would not recommend anyone to undertake this task unless trained to do so.

if you do not have the correct equipment to test the system and the necessary competences to know how to use then yes it is potentially dangerous

Do you have a Manometer? are you trained to the required level in how to use it? do you know the disernable drop limit for LPG gas? if not then get someone in who has the required competences

GAS is dangerous in the wrong untrained hands.

for those giving out repair advice are you well insured against litigation as written advice on a forum can and will be used in court in the event of an accident

I work on Gas for a living and I am Gassafe Registered to work on both Natural and LPG gas so i know the pitfalls of getting it wrong!

Oh come on cut the scare mongering!

advising someone to undertake gas work especially on LPG is both Dangerous and Stupid. unless they have the requisite equipment to test afterwards how do they know they have not left a gas leak with the resulting danger of an explosion.

i would not recommend anyone to undertake this task unless trained to do so.

Was I actually advising anyone to do this? (Incitement to Perform Unauthorised Gas Work?!?!) I have got some very helpful advice from this forum over the past year, so just thought it useful to contribute something that could be of assisstance to someone. Clearly, if that someone is not capable of a specific task but tries anyway to the extent that they can't see that they themselves are responsible for their own actions, then no-one can do anything about it.

Apart from temporarily losing a part, I really didn't find it that difficult (Just for the record, I didn't need to disconnect the supply pipe as it was a flexible hose). I guess some people would - they can call out a gas engineer.

Oh come on cut the scare mongering!

Indeed. I doubt it would stand up if someone tried to sue a guy they don't know and had never met because they followed some "advice" on forum and then came a cropper! Just to be sure, see point 5 in my post above.

My preferred method would be a qualified GASSAFE chap who would probably do the job better than I.

If you're thinking of doing it yourself, try asking Alde for a copy of the service manual as it will worth having.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete