3 way push fit valve

Ray

Featured Posts

As a result of the recent cold spell, and to make draining down a bit easier next winter (or for other maintenance), I want to be able to connect the plumbing to the shower sump pump and incorporate isolation valve(s), all in a confined space.

Ideally I need a single 15mm push fit T connection that has a (manually controlled) valve at the junction such that I can connect end A to end B or end A to C or end B to C.

End A would be the connection to the water supply pipe (already T'd off that supply pipne), end B would connect to the shower mixer and end C would connect to the shower sump.

Normally the valve would be set to connect end A to end B. If I want to drain the shower mixer I turn (and leave) the valve to connect end B to end C (which also leavse the mixer isolated). If I want to drain the system I connect end A to end C which also keep the shower isolated.

Space is fairly tight and unless I've missed something, I can't think of any way of doing the same thing with only two valves.

Has anyone either knowledge of a 3 way valve or have any other ideas for providing what I'm trying to achieve in a limited amount of space?

Thanks

As a result of the recent cold spell, and to make draining down a bit easier next winter (or for other maintenance), I want to be able to connect the plumbing to the shower sump pump and incorporate isolation valve(s), all in a confined space.

Ideally I need a single 15mm push fit T connection that has a (manually controlled) valve at the junction such that I can connect end A to end B or end A to C or end B to C.

End A would be the connection to the water supply pipe (already T'd off that supply pipne), end B would connect to the shower mixer and end C would connect to the shower sump.

Normally the valve would be set to connect end A to end B. If I want to drain the shower mixer I turn (and leave) the valve to connect end B to end C (which also leavse the mixer isolated). If I want to drain the system I connect end A to end C which also keep the shower isolated.

Space is fairly tight and unless I've missed something, I can't think of any way of doing the same thing with only two valves.

Has anyone either knowledge of a 3 way valve or have any other ideas for providing what I'm trying to achieve in a limited amount of space?

Thanks

3-way ball valves with threaded connections are readily available, you would need a 'male iron' connector to join to each branch. I don't think you'll find one which can give all your connection options, though. For it to be physically possible I think it would need to be a 120 degree Y valve, which might exist somewhere I suppose.

Tim

If you can't find a 3 way valve, what about 3 isolating valves and a T connection, at nearly £1 each it will be the cheaper than one 3 way valve..

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/67670/Plumbi...15mm-Pack-of-10 or with handle http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16505/Plumbi...ith-Handle-15mm

Edited by Robbo

If you can't find a 3 way valve, what about 3 isolating valves and a T connection, at nearly £1 each it will be the cheaper than one 3 way valve..

Snip

Thanks for the thought but we don't have enough room to do that. If push comes to shove I'll use two valves, one to isolate the shower and one to isolate the sump. Then I'd have to drain everything including the shower, then re-charge the system with the shower isolated if I only want to drain the shower.

Thanks

Hi

I'm a bit confused.

Can you not just disconnect the shower mixer and pump all the pipe work water down the sinks?

Which wot I does.

Alex

Alex

The supply pipe runs at floor level, the sump just below.

Apart from draining the mixer into the sump, my intention is to have an easy way of draining the supply as well, straight into the sump and use the sump pump to push it outside the boat.

If I simply turn the taps on until the tank is empty, there's still the residue left in the pipes.

Alex

The supply pipe runs at floor level, the sump just below.

Apart from draining the mixer into the sump, my intention is to have an easy way of draining the supply as well, straight into the sump and use the sump pump to push it outside the boat.

If I simply turn the taps on until the tank is empty, there's still the residue left in the pipes.

Why do you need to drain them separately? If you had a tee piece with a drain cock from the branch into the sump, you could drain it all at once. Would that be undesirable? (maybe you've explained & I've missed it?)

Tim

Why do you need to drain them separately? If you had a tee piece with a drain cock from the branch into the sump, you could drain it all at once. Would that be undesirable? (maybe you've explained & I've missed it?)

Tim

Top solution

Alex

Thanks

You might find the mixer has non return valves in it.

Maybe worth making an adapter that connects the shower hose end to the gulper.

cheers,

Pete.

Cheers, chaps (and any chapessess).

We can drain the shower mixer. We currently do it and have a drain off, but it is very difficult to get to. We have to hold a pot under the drain which is behind a partition and about a foot above the opening.

I was simply going to connect the existing drain to the sump pump but then thought that providing a connection from the main supply pipe to the sump would provide a means of easily draining the rest of the system if we ever need to. At present we have drain the residue from the pipes into pots and chuck the content overboard.

We open all the taps when we're not there in the winter but that still leaves a residue in the pipes to the taps.

We don't live on the boat but spend some long periods (during the summer) and some odd days (during the winter) on it. We drain the shower mixer and leave it drained during the winter but would like to be able to leave the rest of the system charged (or be able to charge it quickly) if we're there for the odd day. For example, I could benefit from staying on the boat for a few hours this afternoon but won't because the water's turned off and I can't quickly drain it if there's a burst, which I haven't checked for yet, (and I may need to empty the pipes quickly to save filling the bilge.)

Its all about trying to make the system as flexible as possible.

Back to the drawing board.