Channel 5 Now!

Edders

Featured Posts

An interesting programme - but no mention of regulatory/qualifications impact and given size of vessel, approx 33m could have quite an effect - eg MCA passenger carrying regs, skipper quals, the application of Tech Reqts for Inland Waterways Vessels (TRIWV) Directive in Europe or French skipper quals - which I understand are quite onerous and require an "apprenticeship" to have been completed.

Good point. A friend of mine with a boat in France was also telling me that the regulations surrounding small businesses are quite strict and taxes can be hefty. I don't know about that couple, but a lot of people don't think of these things and just assume the rest of the world operates in the same way it does in the UK. Then after they've committed themselves they're surprised to find that it doesn't.

There are lots of rules and regulations, and it's getting harder all the time, so travelling up and down (of often) the same stretch of water with FRIENDS is not likely to work long enough to become rich. Also as said before with the lenght of there barge they should be prepared to run into a whole lot of extra problems.

One thing that dreamers don't seem to understand is that it's not enough to have a beautiful barge to make a business work, it the clients and it takes more then just a few advertisements in de magazines to get them comming, there are already quite a few barges around and long established that know all about the erea etc. things that take a long time to find out.

Still I do wish them the best of luck.

Peter.