boat builders

handyspanner

Featured Posts

Forgive me for jumping in here,but l can,t get my head around the "contract" between buyer and builder.

If l go to buy a new build house off plan there will usually plans drawn up i.e to get planning permission so l know what l am buying.and l don,t pay the balance until finished.

Yes, if you are buying a house off plan. Same with a boatbuilder. If you buy a boat from one of the many builders who have 'standard' models then it's exactly the same. You choose the tiles, the paint finish, certain extras, but you are buying a 'standard' design. Just like a house build.

But what happens if l don,t like what they are building i.e build is different from plans.

Same as with a bespoke house build. You discuss where the differences are and attempt to negotiate a way around the problems.

l get the impression that once l start the initial build process l am tied in with that builder.

No more so than with a bespoke house build. If you have a falling out with someone (architect, project manager, contractor) you can dismiss them, but you'll probably be out of pocket.

Tony

Life is a series of challenges to be met and mastered.

Mike said:

So (assuming this is possible) insure your build if it would hurt to lose the money you've paid on account, even if you get on brilliantly with the builder and have the best possible relationship with them.

Can anyone out there advise if insurers can insure us against a builder going into receivership/liquidation?

Hi.

I've been looking for a new boat and have been tossing up either buying a project or a new boat. I sold my 40' Reeves a month ago and have been deciding to either get something bigger or go sailing. :rolleyes: My Reeves was 9 years old, but the build was fantastic and it was like new when I sold it. It was also 10mm all round and was over built. I've heard the company has changed (one of the owners left), but can only go on my last boat which was brill.

If I get a new shell I am on a tight budget but this is the best plan for me to buy new,

www.sheppardboats.co.uk = my reason for choosing them is price, build materials are better than most and has various designs and many things that are fitted standard with Sheppards are charged extra at other builders. A 57' shell is 14.5k and sail away is 24.5k. The owner learnt his trade from Mike Haywood who had a good reputation. The other factor is build time, 3 to 4 weeks and they seem happy to work to what you want.

I'm not sure on their payment structure, but I would never pass large amounts of money upfront to any builder, I would be happy to put it in an escrow account with their solicitor as a guarantee to them that the money is there.

WARNING. Never pay more than a small deposit directly to a builder, a good builder will have 60 day's to pay their suppliers and if they have a good build time, then there is no issue and would be happy to proceed like this. A small fee will be charged by the solicitor, but not more than 100 quid

I would supply my own engine as I can get a new 35hp Isuzu Eng/box for 1450 quid (I don't have there details on my laptop), but if you want them, PM me.

Fit out, I would do myself, but there are a few independent fitters working out there and they charge between 500 & 600 quid a week for labour, you pay them weekly and don't forget to get references first and see other boats they have done. Have regular meetings 2 or 3 times a week to discuss what has been done and what's next, if you have an independent fitter he will get you the best prices on materials and you should pay for these directly to the supplier and not to the fitter. It shouldn't take more than a month to fit out. I forgot to say, sit down with the fitter and do plans (list of materials to order) before taking them on and get a schedule drawn up of what work is to be done in what order. You don't want to be paying someone to sit around waiting for parts. (give a discretion float to the fitter for parts they need urgently as you may not be on site).

Its all about being in control and keeping the project as close to where you live as possible.

Thats my plan if I go down that route.

Mike said:

So (assuming this is possible) insure your build if it would hurt to lose the money you've paid on account, even if you get on brilliantly with the builder and have the best possible relationship with them.

Can anyone out there advise if insurers can insure us against a builder going into receivership/liquidation?

Getting Insurers can be tricky as basically they will need to have assets to cover it and the insurer will check etc. My reply above explains a safe route to go down.

Don't forget, your the boss and builders need the work, so stay in control and you will have nothing to worry about!

Edited by vivelo