Getting onto the water

Heffalump

Featured Posts

I think I'm certified for thinking about this on a budget of about 1300. Boat 800, insurance fully comp 100 (first place i tried, will prolly come down) BSC I'm assuming will be somewhere in the region of 100 quid? Thats me left with 300 quid and a license to pay, AND mooring fees. I might possibly able to sort out a decent mooring somewhere but personally I'm happy to b****e-h** until then. Can the license be paid monthly?

Please note I'm not jumping on the first boat I've seen, and i'm not set on buying it, just working out the feasability, and how the system works.

For a £800 boat do you want fully com insurance, if you try and make a claim first there is the excess and then they will probably try and right it off and give you a couple of hundred if you are lucky.

If its a small cruiser, try Medley boat station at Oxford. Its on the river (so you'll need a gold licence), but excellent access to the Oxford canal.

PM Bill Door - he's on the forum and moors there.

Or just an EA licence and don't use the canals

For a £800 boat do you want fully com insurance, if you try and make a claim first there is the excess and then they will probably try and right it off and give you a couple of hundred if you are lucky.

For the £30 difference is it worth not?

Or just an EA licence and don't use the canals

I'm looking at another boat now, its a grand, and still has a years BW river license on it. But I'm not sure if there are any bw rivers near me :lol:

Thanks to a certain forum member pointing me the direction of some small cruisers for considerably less money than I thought they should be, I have decided that instead of spending my meager savings on a new roadbound motor vehicle, I'd rather spend it on a water bourne motor vehicle. However, I'll be the first to admit that I can be rather blonde at times. I've looked through the BW website a fair bit, and it has certainly helped, however I'm still a bit confused about WHAT to do. As far as I can see, it all boils down to getting a LICENSE. For which I need Insurance, Standards for Boat Construction & Equipment (Is this a BSC?) A Home mooring (What if I'm to CC?) and evidently a boat. I've seen a boat I'd like to buy, but I can't put it in the water until I've got a license can I? Can I pay for this license monthly? Or must I pay the full whack for the period I choose? How much will my, "Standards for Boat Construction & Equipment" cost? If I were sure I wanted the boat, would I buy it, plonk it in the water somewhere I had access, and THEN set about applying for the above? Or would I try to sort out the above whilst attempting to persuade the seller not to... sell.. to someone else?

To complicate things, I've got to send off for the money, so won't have it for a few weeks.

What shall I do?

Yours always,

Heffs :lol:

Heffs-U are in Banbury? u can PM if u like-I can help u alot, as I have gone through the "baptism of fire or is that water" -I can help u avoid the mistakes that I have made!! What do u think?

Edited by boatbot