cc ers

Guest st170dw

Featured Posts

Guest st170dw

Near where we moor there is a ccer who is in the latter years of, I suspect, his and his dog's lives.

My question is prompted by my wife's question every time we pass and he is not visible.

How do we know he is ok? His windows are boarded and the cockpit is covered by a tarp. He seems to eschew contact but I would hate to think he needs help as we blithely cruise by.

Should we just slow down and pass by?

Dave

Dave

This is easier said than done, but stop and approach this gentleman, you may get a blast of 'Anglo Saxon' but you will then know he is still alive.

Maybe if your wife, with you in the background, made the initial contact he may respond. (Experience of old gentlemen, who were beligerent with me, would respond to my female colleagues)

The dogs may also be a common ground that could be used to start a conversation.

Best of luck

Hi Dave

My own method in a similar situation was to go round with something.

Lie. Say something along the lines of - 'excuse me, but we bought this cake/biscuits/wine/tea and I can't/don't eat cream/nuts/this brand. Wondered if you'd like it?'

It would be hard to take offence at someone offering a small gift.

Guest st170dw

Surely the guy just wants to be left alone.

Seems to me that would be the best plan.

Not everyone wants to be 'fussed' over.

He has made his decision, leave him alone.

Maffi,

That is my feeling too.

As long as his dog has the strength to bark at ours when I go by I won't worry too much I guess.

I will just keep my eyes open.

Dave

Maffi,

That is my feeling too.

As long as his dog has the strength to bark at ours when I go by I won't worry too much I guess.

I will just keep my eyes open.

Dave

Well, it's very canal-neighbourly of you Dave. Good to know there are still people keeping a caring eye out for older people.

i would follow bottle on this dave,the worst he can do is tell you to f--- off and best is you have called just when he needed it.

how are you, anything you need ,i am on this boat wave if you need any help,something so simple to do,so what if he does not need you at least he will know you are there if he ever does.

just do it