wey and arun praise

the grinch

Featured Posts

just thought you all may be interested in this letter received by the Wey & Arun Canal Trust recently and copied to all the skippers / crew members.

Hi,

>

> We brought our three grandchildren to the Santa Cruise on the 20th December

> and thought we would like to write and say firstly how much we all enjoyed

> the outing. All the people on and off the narrow boat were extremely jolly

> and friendly even though they must have been freezing.

> > Secondly, our youngest grandson was taken ill whilst on the narrow boat and

> was treated by a lovely lady. He was the first member of our family to go

> down with the flu bug over christmas and was shivering uncontrollably. Not

> only did the lady (sorry didn't get her name) notice that he was not well

> but also made sure that he was wrapped in a space blanket and was extremely

> kind to both Leon and us. I am sure that without her help he would have

> been really poorly.

>

> We would like to thank everyone for the lovely day and especially the lady

> who helped us and to assure you that it may have been our first visit but

> will definitely not be our last.

>

> Keep up the good work.

>

> Pat Southon

>

despite the awful weather we almost matched last years passenger numbers so a big boost to the trusts income. this will enable Devil's Hole Lock to completed in time for the planned reopening in may 2010

kev

just thought you all may be interested in this letter received by the Wey & Arun Canal Trust recently and copied to all the skippers / crew members.

despite the awful weather we almost matched last years passenger numbers so a big boost to the trusts income. this will enable Devil's Hole Lock to completed in time for the planned reopening in may 2010

kev

Anay update on restoration? Last time I looked there were 36 miles to go

the current situation is that approx 1/2 the canal is restored 12 locks are restored although only 5 have gates at the moment

we run the trip boats (4) between Loxwood (Onslow Arms B2133 crossing) down to Drungewick lock 3 a distance of 2.5 miles approx

of the 3 major road crossings, 1 Loxwood (the worst 1) is completed. Newbridge needs a new bridge :lol: as does the summit crossing near Alford

the extension to Devil's Hole (lock 6) is on target and clearance work has been undertaken at Southland (lock7)

electric supplies are now in for both (to supply the back pumps)

further updates are always available on our website

http://www.weyandarun.co.uk

Good stuff, I worked on the Atkins study 5 years ago and was well impressed then

Can someone defeat the eco-mafia and get you back through Sidney Wood?

Conversation at the time "you can't go through there, it's ancient woodland"

"Oh, what's the definition of ancient woodland?"

"Dates back to 1600"

"Erm, I think we might already have disturbed it..."

Well done for helping with the Santa Cruises.

(I helped with the mulled wine pouring and being jolly, a couple of years ago. It was blooming cold then and only by taking my responsibilities very seriously was I able to ensure the wine was fit for purpose) Hic.

The W&A Trust has a huge and very capable core of hardworking members who achieve a tremendous amount. A terrific organisation and best wishes for future progress in 2010.

Thanks for that hamsterfan - On 20/21 Dec I was one of the "shiverers" at the Onslow end, manning the display van/passenger check in and also doing minor snow clearance in between arrivals/departures of Wiggonholt.

There was plenty to do really so we didn't have time to get cold and it was hilarious watching children react to the "electronic" Santa when he suddenly spoke to them (voice supplied via radio from a remote observer)!

Richard

Thanks for that hamsterfan - On 20/21 Dec I was one of the "shiverers" at the Onslow end, manning the display van/passenger check in and also doing minor snow clearance in between arrivals/departures of Wiggonholt.

There was plenty to do really so we didn't have time to get cold and it was hilarious watching children react to the "electronic" Santa when he suddenly spoke to them (voice supplied via radio from a remote observer)!

Richard

yes robert does a good santa show!! i covered boxing day and it was bl....y cold even running round the lock!!

yes robert does a good santa show!! i covered boxing day and it was bl....y cold even running round the lock!!

I went for a walk near the pub quite late on New Years day afternoon just as they were clearing away the tinsel. Very impressed with the work from the bridge to the lock, very smart. I found the lock gear quite unusual (to me anyway!) took me a while to work out the "catch" on the gear.

I keep promising to make an effort to get involved so maybe this will be the year....

I went for a walk near the pub quite late on New Years day afternoon just as they were clearing away the tinsel. Very impressed with the work from the bridge to the lock, very smart. I found the lock gear quite unusual (to me anyway!) took me a while to work out the "catch" on the gear.

I keep promising to make an effort to get involved so maybe this will be the year....

the catch is a friction catch we have them on Drungewick and Loxwood new locks they work by winding up the paddle and then pulling the catch into the gear. they are certainly different to anything else! they are cheap as BW won't have them on their gates as there is an issue of safety. we train all our crews to use the locks so it isn't an issue to us.

do come down and get involved you will be made most welcome either at the Onslow (boats/sales shed) or up at Devil's Hole/Southland locks (restoration team) look on the website for more info.

• 2 months later...