Johnson WPS 5 Pump Strainer

aread2

Featured Posts

The strainer should be on the inlet side, right?

And if it were fitted on the outlet side it would A.) not protect the pump B.) Break?

Errrr let me think about this ................................'A' and ............................ 'B'

:lol:

Alex

Are you asking this question because:

A. You have a broken pump ?

B. You have a broken strainer ?

:lol:

Pump is fine. The strainer keeps cracking (on the fourth one under guarantee). I have asked the fitter to replace the pump with a different make (still under guarantee) and while waiting for him to do it started reading the installation instructions. It was then I realised that the strainer may be on the wrong side. My guess is that the strainer bowl is capable of withstanding the pressure on the inlet side but not the pressure on the outlet side. The pump is designed to be fitted without accumulator and I think the hammering the bowl gets is enough to crack it. Generally it goes after about a week.

In my (limited) experience, the fresh water filter/strainer normally goes on the inlet to the pump.

How would it protect the pump from grit, sand etc if on the outlet ??

Whether it would suffer more on the outlet than the inlet ???

Edited by NB Willawaw

Pump is fine. The strainer keeps cracking (on the fourth one under guarantee). I have asked the fitter to replace the pump with a different make (still under guarantee) and while waiting for him to do it started reading the installation instructions. It was then I realised that the strainer may be on the wrong side. My guess is that the strainer bowl is capable of withstanding the pressure on the inlet side but not the pressure on the outlet side. The pump is designed to be fitted without accumulator and I think the hammering the bowl gets is enough to crack it. Generally it goes after about a week.

yes the filter goes on the inlet side, many pump manufacturers wont offer a warranty without a filter in place as grit is the death of diagphrams(?).

We have had a wps5 for 4 years now and its a super pump, but I have got it with a 5ltr accumulator, fills the kettle in the morning without the pump switching in.

Paul M NB Enchantress