Lee and Stort in winter

Jim and Paula

Featured Posts

They don't really flood.

The levels can get a bit high and it has been known for BW to put padlocks on the locks to stop movement in the flows, but generally the boats are safe and many moor on linear moorings. Padlocked locks are rare occurences.

Ramney Marsh Lock is closed until the 18th.

I don't know how much difference it ever makes, but a few of the bridges further up are very, very low.

You might not get under them normally with a well stacked roof, and for us, sitting quite "front high", it is definitely a "chimney off" situation, even in normal conditions.

I'm not sure if the navigations ever rise enough to reduce the air-draught significantly more, but it's something to think about.

Unlike the ridiculously pessimistic heights quoted on some navigations, those on those rivers need to be believed!

Its surrounded by flood relief channels and marshes so it's those that soak everything up. The Lee is mostly navigation, only tiny bits of it are the actual river. Even in the rains last winter (when the flood relief channel overtopped), we were still ok here in Tottenham.

Do give us a wave when you come past!

levels on the Stort can rise very quickly if it rains then you will be unable to pass under the low bridges and need to be attentive to mooring lines etc, it last flooded properly about 10 years ago.

the Lee is more stable protected by flood relief channels as mentioned, there can be strong currents on a few sections, particularly below Tottenham locks, but many sections are canalised and do not rise at all.

do come and visit, at worst you may need to tie up for a couple of days.

levels on the Stort can rise very quickly if it rains then you will be unable to pass under the low bridges and need to be attentive to mooring lines etc, it last flooded properly about 10 years ago.

the Lee is more stable protected by flood relief channels as mentioned, there can be strong currents on a few sections, particularly below Tottenham locks, but many sections are canalised and do not rise at all.

do come and visit, at worst you may need to tie up for a couple of days.

The bend at Eastwick on the Stort can be a bugger to get round especially after heavy rain as most of the excess comes the back way through the nearby ford, which causes the water to salom. If you are not aware the flow can really throw you right across the channel.

having lived at ponders end for a year or two. the levels rise around 2 ft in times of flood.

flooding is rare on the Lee, but on the stort it can rise quickly but only real obstacles are the low bridges

I was marooned at Ponders End during the flood last year (and the snow!!!) and was extremely surprised to see how high I was sitting against the bank at one point.

Just for your information, I believe that BW are starting work on gate refurbishment at Lower Lock, which is the entrance to the Stort, for a month starting Jan 4th.

There are also planned stoppages for Spellbrook further upriver, from Feb to March.

One of my customers is coming up the Lee at the moment and I get regular updates.