Curious about the Wey

Stephen Sugg

Featured Posts

A couple of weeks ago I went for cycle along the River Wey from Pyrford, and I noticed soemthing that made me think.....(unusual for me...!) I thought on the Wey that locks were left with either the top or bottom gates left open, at Pyrford lock this wasn't happening (I went past it twice and then went back the next day for a pint at the pub, I was overjoyed to learn that I could get to a navigable waterway within 25 minutes of leaving my house). Now, most of the boaters I saw were on hire boats (manky looking Guildford boats) so they may not know the rule (if it is a rule), but I also saw a couple of owners close the gates, so has the rule changed? I may need to know as I should be undertaking a trip along the Wey next year, on to the Thames and then the K&A.

any thoughts......

Steve

The wey is a river navigation and it seems to me to be a bit daft to try and save water at a lock when any water saved is only diverted from going over the weir. I always leave gates open behind me unless there is a notice to the contrary simply because there is a 50% chance of the lock being set for the next user. I would happily learn different if there is any good reason to leave gates shut.

• 1 year later...

does anyone know the state of the river at the moment!? I noticed some work being done on town lock, and John on the Wey tells me some of the boats up at pelican wharf were resting on mud as the pound had been drained. Can we still go down it all the way to Godalming?

I was hoping for a trip up it, starting this weekend. I persume 4 days is enough - 2 days there, 2 days back ish.

does anyone know the state of the river at the moment!? I noticed some work being done on town lock, and John on the Wey tells me some of the boats up at pelican wharf were resting on mud as the pound had been drained. Can we still go down it all the way to Godalming?

I was hoping for a trip up it, starting this weekend. I persume 4 days is enough - 2 days there, 2 days back ish.

have just spoken to trust office at guildford and was told river is open. we are planing to go out this week end,so my see you around.

have just spoken to trust office at guildford and was told river is open. we are planing to go out this week end,so my see you around.

I spoke to Thames Lock and they say they are starting work on the lock on monday - and it will be closed for a week!!!!! So it looks like we may not go down it after all. However.... where are you setting off from?!

I spoke to Thames Lock and they say they are starting work on the lock on monday - and it will be closed for a week!!!!! So it looks like we may not go down it after all. However.... where are you setting off from?!

our mooring at godalming don,t know how far we are going got to be back for dinner with offspring on sunday afternoon as it is mothering sunday.

our mooring at godalming don,t know how far we are going got to be back for dinner with offspring on sunday afternoon as it is mothering sunday.

How far do you think we can get in two days from thames lock? We have to end up the Thames side of Thames lock on sunday evening?

How far do you think we can get in two days from thames lock? We have to end up the Thames side of Thames lock on sunday evening?

just to give you an idea ,when we brought our boat to our mooring in late december we left shepperton marina at about 10.30and we arrived at pyrford just before dark about 4 o,clock ,hope that helps.

just to give you an idea ,when we brought our boat to our mooring in late december we left shepperton marina at about 10.30and we arrived at pyrford just before dark about 4 o,clock ,hope that helps.

No problem then:- pins pulled at 7am and lunch at the Anchor. :banghead:

John

oooh Godalming....that's where me boat used to live. When I got her, we travelled down the wey at the height of the summer.....absolutely gorgeous. I think we could have done it in 2-3 days but took a week as it seemed rude not to stop at every waterside drinking establishment to check the quality of the ales!!

Would you like 3 eager and willing crew members during the day on saturday? :unsure::o

That is pretty good, thanks! It is a shame Thames lock will be closed on monday for the week, I'd really like us to be able to make it to Newark at least. It seems we could be pushing it for 2 days which is a great shame !! I shall bring my boat down later in the year and do a leisurely cruise! :banghead:

From Thames lock it's about three hours cruising to Pyrford ( The Anchor is currently closed for major refurbishment ) , five hours to the New Inn at Send and about eight hours to Guildford . If you're not bothered about being near a pub there are lovely quiet moorings above and below Triggs Lock but if you went above you would have to carry on up to Broadoak Bridge below Bowers lock ( about six and a half hours ) to turn .

I believe the level has been lowered in the Addlestone area to assist with the rebuilding of the bywash at Town Lock but navigation should still be possible .

Give us a toot at Walsham if you do come up .

Would you like 3 eager and willing crew members during the day on Saturday? :unsure::)

Sorry got the post too late. There is a 7 o'clock!! Set of early both days, just as well we did on Sunday as the weather got progressively worse. We made it to the New Inn at Send, although we walked there from a bit further up stream. Had a good cruise on Saturday but a little bit more difficult on the say back on Sunday, very windy and cold. Getting used to boat handling on rivers, didn't realise that it would be so different to canals, weir streams etc make things lots harder and there are some tricky little bends to content with on the Wey. We have learnt that less is more ie less speed and rudder. :o Hope to see some of you at the Banter on Sunday, is it still on and at the pub near Shepperton Lock. :banghead:

Sorry got the post too late. There is a 7 o'clock!! Set of early both days, just as well we did on Sunday as the weather got progressively worse. We made it to the New Inn at Send, although we walked there from a bit further up stream. Had a good cruise on Saturday but a little bit more difficult on the say back on Sunday, very windy and cold. Getting used to boat handling on rivers, didn't realise that it would be so different to canals, weir streams etc make things lots harder and there are some tricky little bends to content with on the Wey. We have learnt that less is more ie less speed and rudder. :unsure: Hope to see some of you at the Banter on Sunday, is it still on and at the pub near Shepperton Lock. :banghead:

It sounds like you had a good trip along the wey! I don't envy you in the wind though! We had a fantastic trip down to Kingston - wonderful cake from bon bon pattiserie and then beer for less than 2 pounds a pint!!!!! :o The banter is still at Thames Court - it is a lovely pub with a great bit of river! I am really looking forward to it too!