Ecofan

becks101

Featured Posts

After several suicidal leaps to the floor, mine developed a quite loud ticking noise. The irrittion was balanced by being able to lie and bed and know how well the stove was going by the rate of tick. Eventually the irritation became too much and it was sent back for a new motor. Now restrained by a bit of brass chain from Focus through the handle and round the flue pipe.

If your Ecofan starts ticking (usually because the bearing is wearing out), or your blades are past saving, having been bent too many times, you can now get a replacement motor for £9.75 (either model) or a replacement blade for £9.75 (2 blades) or £11.99 (3 blades). Unfortunately to get a replacement thermo-electro module (the white slice in the middle) you have to send the unit away!

If your Ecofan starts ticking (usually because the bearing is wearing out), or your blades are past saving, having been bent too many times, you can now get a replacement motor for £9.75 (either model) or a replacement blade for £9.75 (2 blades) or £11.99 (3 blades). Unfortunately to get a replacement thermo-electro module (the white slice in the middle) you have to send the unit away!

If anyone needs a replacement motor I have a couple. They cost me £0.80 from America. Just PM me.

As the OP, I just wanted to say thanks for all the replies about what size ecofan to buy. We bought a three blade one on Saturday and have really noticed a difference. Even the bedroom, at the opposite end to the stove, is now fairly toasty, and we're very pleased with the fan.

I've got a three blade one. I'm of the school that they do work.

If I felt they didn't, I'd be more than happy to say, "save your money, I wasted £100 on mine". But I don't.

Agree totally, I have a 2 blader on top of my diesel heater and my whole boat (40 X 12) is warmer than it has ever been, the heat is pushed around and even at the stern, the furthest point from the fire the temp is 19 or 20. Lovely

I use a two blade fan and as I like a smoke now and then you can certanly see the air circulating with the 2 blade fan working.

That sounds like a great test to see what effect it would have on your boat.

I'm not suggesting everyone takes up smoking (40 per day here and counting!) but what about lighting one of those incense stick things or something similar that gives off a regular stream of smoke and try placing it near the fan, then maybe a few feet further away and so on until you get a picture of where the smoke is heading?

Make yer boat smell like a boudoir though! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

My ecofan gave up the ghost after one too many falls (thanks for the tips, I am now going to chain it to... something) and I thought I would have to get a new one. I eventually sent it away for a new motor and it has come back working beautifully again. The time I was without it I could really tell the difference. I am certain it works, just not certain how. I have read that the positioning on the stove is crucial but as my pipe comes from the back centre (squirrel) I have no option but to put it in front of the pipe albeit a bit to the side. I wonder if this makes much difference?

My ecofan gave up the ghost after one too many falls (thanks for the tips, I am now going to chain it to... something) and I thought I would have to get a new one. I eventually sent it away for a new motor and it has come back working beautifully again. The time I was without it I could really tell the difference. I am certain it works, just not certain how. I have read that the positioning on the stove is crucial but as my pipe comes from the back centre (squirrel) I have no option but to put it in front of the pipe albeit a bit to the side. I wonder if this makes much difference?

I had to have mine to one side of the flue and it still worked well. In an ideal world you would have it with the fan as far to the back of the stove as possible but, in the real world, it still worked a treat.

Roger

I had to have mine to one side of the flue and it still worked well. In an ideal world you would have it with the fan as far to the back of the stove as possible but, in the real world, it still worked a treat.

Roger

Thank you. I have a fluey thing going on just now and am sitting basking in the warmth watching the moorehens sliding about on the ice as they eat the lunch I just provided. Perfect.

Errm I mean fluey as it aches and pains and sore throat.... not flue from the stove which is what we were discussing. I am confusing myself now!

I bought a 2 blade fan last month to help warm the back cabin on my 50' boat. I think it's fantastic - yes it is still warmer in the saloon than in the bedroom, but now I don't boil at the front and freeze at the back. One of my more inspired purchases! :lol: