Lister CE2 Manual

Arnot

Featured Posts

I am helping someone fit a Lister CE2 into a tugboat.

Having got it installed on the beds, when it was run up it it seems it needs a bit of TLC.

The head gasket is leaking and it only fires on one cylinder at tickover.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an owners manual or a service manual before the head is lifted?

There seems to be a strange decompression or variable compression system on the side of the head....

Regards

Arnot

You might well find a manual at Internal Fire. You will need to register first.

Thanks David, I did get what I wanted from the museum of internal fire, a very good library of manuals...

You have to pay them £10 to download but then you can have as many of them as you like. Well worth it in my book!

Regards

Arnot

I am helping someone fit a Lister CE2 into a tugboat.

Having got it installed on the beds, when it was run up it it seems it needs a bit of TLC.

The head gasket is leaking and it only fires on one cylinder at tickover.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an owners manual or a service manual before the head is lifted?

There seems to be a strange decompression or variable compression system on the side of the head....

Regards

Arnot

Hi Arnot,

I am the proud owner of a CE, which runs quite well most of the time. Not sure if the Owners manual will be much help though (mine is a bit thin). I think new head gaskets are available from Tony Redshaw

Have you tried venting the fuel pump (2 vents on top of the pump)

The strange decompression thingy's on the side of the head are for starting the engine (wind them in) Once the engine is warm , wind them out for greater fuel economy.

Please let me know how you get on, and do let me know if you have a marine CE or an industrial conversioin (like mine)

Regards,

Steve

Hi Arnot,

I am the proud owner of a CE, which runs quite well most of the time. Not sure if the Owners manual will be much help though (mine is a bit thin). I think new head gaskets are available from Tony Redshaw

Have you tried venting the fuel pump (2 vents on top of the pump)

The strange decompression thingy's on the side of the head are for starting the engine (wind them in) Once the engine is warm , wind them out for greater fuel economy.

Please let me know how you get on, and do let me know if you have a marine CE or an industrial conversioin (like mine)

Regards,

Steve

It's an industrial conversion (ex stationary engine) and I think that the manual I got from internal fire will be OK to get on with. I need to sort out the exhaust and cooling gubbins at the moment but have been sidetracked by actualy doing some work on my own boat today.

The dual compression system on this engine is two big red levers on each end of the engine that operate the double seated valve thingy in the socondary combustion chamber. Anyway it appears that this valve is leaking so that in one postion it chuffs exhaust fumes and oil out of the side of the engine!

For the fuel system, I have disregarded convention and used a simple electric (facet) pump to ensure decent fed pressure to the injection pump regardless of temperature or the stinky heating oil that the chandlers pass off as red diesel. The manual suggests at least 3' of fuel head and this is difficult to achieve in a narrow boat.

When I have got all the vital fluids appropriately contained and directed I will lift the head and have a gander, I'm sure I can get it to run better than it does.

Regards

Arnot

It's an industrial conversion (ex stationary engine) and I think that the manual I got from internal fire will be OK to get on with. I need to sort out the exhaust and cooling gubbins at the moment but have been sidetracked by actualy doing some work on my own boat today.

The dual compression system on this engine is two big red levers on each end of the engine that operate the double seated valve thingy in the socondary combustion chamber. Anyway it appears that this valve is leaking so that in one postion it chuffs exhaust fumes and oil out of the side of the engine!

For the fuel system, I have disregarded convention and used a simple electric (facet) pump to ensure decent fed pressure to the injection pump regardless of temperature or the stinky heating oil that the chandlers pass off as red diesel. The manual suggests at least 3' of fuel head and this is difficult to achieve in a narrow boat.

When I have got all the vital fluids appropriately contained and directed I will lift the head and have a gander, I'm sure I can get it to run better than it does.

Regards

Arnot

Hi Arnot,

I would be very interested to know if you have any vibration problems when you get your engine running. My engine vibrates quite badly, probably because of the Heath Robinson mounting that has been used. It needs to be sorted but I would like to see what other people have done before I wield the gas spanner

Edited by wergie

on my boat we used 2 lengths of hardwood mounted on the steel engine beds (yes they were too low!!!) then used a thick rubber mat with a square 3" washer on top, the engine was then bolted through the lot, the nuts were then tightened to hold rigid and then a lock nut was torqued up to the nut.

edit: engine was a lister HA2 in a trad engine room.

Edited by hamsterfan

Hi Arnot,

I would be very interested to know if you have any vibration problems when you get your engine running. My engine vibrates quite badly, probably because of the Heath Robinson mounting that has been used. It needs to be sorted but I would like to see what other people have done before I wield the gas spanner

No problems so far but the boat is still on hard standing.

The engine is mounted on to 200 x 90 channel with custom flanges and 12mm Tiko pad isolation in between. I'm just off to complete the exhuast and rig up a primitive cooling system to run it up to temperature, we will see what we will see!

More anon....

If it works I can send you a drawing of the bits. PM me...

Regards

Arnot