Drilling and fitting a back boiler instructions

Tim Doran

Featured Posts

I have a Morso Squirell and wanted to fit a backboiler. Here are the instructions on how I did it. You can also check out my blog at this clicky which has exactly the same information and pics.

Tools needed

Drill

40mm hole saw of reasonable quality, not one from the £15 sets.

Drill bits in 3, 5, 6.5mm

Oil or cutting paste. I used 3-1 oil and it was ok

A chair to sit on.

On the back of my Morso Squirrel there were three holes marked. You need to cut two holes, top right and bottom left as you look at the back of the stove.

1. Purchase back boiler and await excitedly for delivery

2. Remove the flue from the stove. It might be possible to remove the flue without removing the roof collar.

3. Open the door and empty the ash, remove the doors (makes it lighter to move), metal baffle (the bent bit of metal at the top of the fire box), the grate and riddling grate and all firebricks. Remove the heat protecting plate from the back of the stove but keep the bolts.

4. Turn the stove around so that it is in a position that is easy to reach.

5. Get a chair and position yourself comfortably. You are going to be there for quite a while.

6. Apply some oil to the dimple and drill a 3mm pilot hole.

IMAGE_193.jpg

7. Enlarge the holes to 5 then 6.5mm. Apply oil at the beginning and if you think that it is getting hot. Note the pics of my new Matika drill bits.

IMAGE_194.jpg

8. Apply a little oil to the hole saw pilot and blade. Insert the hole saw into the pilot and start drilling. Use a slow speed and let the saw do the work.

IMAGE_195.jpg

9. Keep drilling and applying oil as necessary until the hole is complete.

IMAGE_191.jpg

10. Once both holes are drilled turn the stove around and simply (as if) insert the backboiler. It took me ages to work out which way to insert the boiler as you have to insert it and tip it up into place. One tip is to remove the grate and the cup bit at the bottom of the flue to give a bit more space. Screw the large nuts and large washers on to the boiler.

11. I might have made a bit of an error here, when it came to fit the side fire bricks it was quite challenging. I ended up breaking on that was cracked and cementing it in place.

12. Reinsert the bolts back into the holes otherwise smoke might come out of them before the stove is going properly. See the picture in step 9 for the bolt hole (right and down from the big hole.

13. Wash your hands, arms, upper body, face and have a beer.

All in all it was not a very complicated job, and I would suggest that anyone with common sense could achieve this.

Ahhhhhhhh I meant it to read Drilling and Fitting.. MODS please can you change it Thanks Mods

Edited by Tim Doran
  • Greenie 2

• 5 years later...

Hi Tim

Nice set of instructions! I had a real job wriggling mine into place a few weeks ago. Thankfully the fireplace was new so no suet to deal with!

After running it for a week now, I'm wondering if I should have but the back firebrick back in front of the boiler? I can't seem to keep the stove got enough to keep fuel burning properly when the central heating pump is on. So if I'm not carful I boil off my water D:

- Foxy

I've 5, which is plenty I've checked. But I've no heat storage tank and don't want to waste heating most of the boat while I'm not here. Whats more, my batteries aren't in the best of health and even just leaving the pump running for the ten plus hours I'm at work would not only run me out of electric but also ether burn off or put out my coal.

In other news, I've put a fire brick in place at the bast of the boiler, so the fire has a place to keep nice and warm, then the flue gases heat the water. I've been running it for about 8 hours now and it seems to be doing well for what I need.

Ok. But regardless, if you haven't got a pipe stat, get one. Set it to a bit below boiling and it will cut your pump in, and then off again when cooler. Saves a lot of juice. My pump is only 6w anyway, but I have a pipe stat.

Yes same as me saves power and stove runs better

Peter