Trouble on the Leeds & Liverpool

Night Hawk

Featured Posts

Just had a text from my mother who's a part time live-aboard near Burscough on the Leeds and Liverpool. Mooring ropes on several boats have been cut, rubbish emptied over boats, mooring planks thrown into nearby fields - Not serious but annoying all the same. Local property owners have noticed similar examples of minor vandalism...

Anyone experienced anything similar around this quiet and uneventful stretch of the cut?

Andrew (on behalf of his mother)

Just had a text from my mother who's a part time live-aboard near Burscough on the Leeds and Liverpool. Mooring ropes on several boats have been cut, rubbish emptied over boats, mooring planks thrown into nearby fields - Not serious but annoying all the same. Local property owners have noticed similar examples of minor vandalism...

Anyone experienced anything similar around this quiet and uneventful stretch of the cut?

Think it goes as the norm for this time of year-

Mischief night it used to be called OOp north.

Trouble is little scrotes who perpetrate this sort of stuff don't know when to knock off......

Same thing this time last year at Parbold.

Turns out there's a teenage crime wave in Burscough at the moment by a 'known to the police' gang of scrotes who have been breaking into shops, houses and boats and causing damage.

Begs the question....why don't the police do anything?

Too busy booking motorists.

I have not been at boat in burscough for two weeks and when i got there tonight found that several things from roof smashed , table ,landing net and brush ect.

Brother very ill so cant really stay on board at night with visiting him.

burscough has been getting worse over past two years , police station consists of building with phone on outside wall to contact ormskirk police , when you do use this phone and demand access to a police person and a crime no you will be threatened with arrest .

I once had to ask for inspectors name and time i could see him to make an official complaint and only then would they listen to my report of theft from boat.

Mum has been advised to phone Skelmersdale Police Station and log the incident - This known gang of youths robbed a local chandlers and took, amongst other things, 100s of knives....and they still don't seem to be doing anything!

I've been trying to persuade mum to join us on the Llangollen cut!

New properties "buy to let" has seen an influx of idiots as investors rent out to people not quite suitable in order to avoid repossions.

One boat passing burscough bridge received abuse from one drunken young lad out to impress his girl , to late for him to realise it was a stag party on the boat and several of the men on board alighted to give him a good hiding , a lady who was passing told me she was well impressed.

Its not all bad though as another was given a good belting by one of the tenants in the new flats next to the waterfront pub.

Well I arrived in Burscough yesterday afternoon and when I arrived met a friend who was on the Llangollen last winter he has been in Burscough for 10 days and he never mentioned anything about trouble, and was never mentioned last night in The Ship and we were about 6 boaters.

Pop up to the 'Slipway' -I believe there were grumblings there!

One does have to wonder what the police are doing.

On our local (Anglia) tv we had yet another incident of a terrified woman being denied assistance from the police. Some local, known to police, yobs put a firework through her letterbox. The resulting fire killed her although she managed to save her (17 year old) son.

Transpires she had been terrorised by these yobs for months before and despite pleading to the police for help she was ignored.

This woman was clearly terrorised yet the police chose not to use anti-terrorism laws to help her when they are quite happy to use them against an elderly man heckling a politician.

Needless to say the police said they are holding an investigation to see if "lessons need to be learned".

Won't help the woman or her children though.

Even though I am a 'liberal leftie' by nature being a liberal society does not extend to having the right to abuse others. Until shame becomes a public part of punishment and yobs become respectful of the rule of law what can we do???

Ditchdabbler

I often used to hear rumours of trouble at Burscough and Parbold some years ago, but I presonally never saw any, and sometimes I left the boat there for a week or so unattended. There were boats there in the old days that had been left on the towpath for months without trouble. (before these enforement days!!).

It's probably one group of yobs, led by a single ringleader/troublemaker. If they are identified/caught and either locked up by the Police or given a good kicking by persons unknown then I'm sure peace will return and no more trouble will be uncountered.

I often used to hear rumours of trouble at Burscough and Parbold some years ago, but I presonally never saw any, and sometimes I left the boat there for a week or so unattended. There were boats there in the old days that had been left on the towpath for months without trouble. (before these enforement days!!).

It's probably one group of yobs, led by a single ringleader/troublemaker. If they are identified/caught and either locked up by the Police or given a good kicking by persons unknown then I'm sure peace will return and no more trouble will be uncountered.

I like this idea - a 'good kicking'! Parents should've administered 'tough love' when these thugs were babes in arms (or at least that's what the Daily Mail's telling us)! :lol:

I like this idea - a 'good kicking'! Parents should've administered 'tough love' when these thugs were babes in arms (or at least that's what the Daily Mail's telling us)! :lol:

Careful now, you'll have all of the 'nanny state warriors' up in arms about human rights and the like. Can anyone out there illustrate the lack of crime encountered on the Isle of Man when the birch was the order of the day?

With countless stories of good people being kicked to death for having the affrontary to stand up for themselves or their partners, surely by now, the authorities must acknowledge that the present system of so called punishment is no deterrent for the thugs who commit such crimes. :lol:

Turns out there's a teenage crime wave in Burscough at the moment by a 'known to the police' gang of scrotes who have been breaking into shops, houses and boats and causing damage.

Begs the question....why don't the police do anything?

We encountered similar behaviour by the 'scrotes' on Tesco's car park at Burcough. My wife was returning to our car from the store, when two of the morons raced past in a Festa just missing her! They then raced onto an adjacent car park proceeding to demonstrate the art of 'doughnuts', ignoring the potential risk to other people.

We phoned the police who promised to investigate the incident.

Burscough normally is a pleasant little town, it's sad if what a previous post suggests, that some 'buy to let' Landlords are renting their properties in the area,

indiscriminally to anyone who can afford the rent. If this is true, there's more than a probability that the same little gems will wreck their flats during the tenancy period.

Serves them right!! :lol:

We encountered similar behaviour by the 'scrotes' on Tesco's car park at Burcough. My wife was returning to our car from the store, when two of the morons raced past in a Festa just missing her! They then raced onto an adjacent car park proceeding to demonstrate the art of 'doughnuts', ignoring the potential risk to other people.

We phoned the police who promised to investigate the incident.

Burscough normally is a pleasant little town, it's sad if what a previous post suggests, that some 'buy to let' Landlords are renting their properties in the area,

indiscriminally to anyone who can afford the rent. If this is true, there's more than a probability that the same little gems will wreck their flats during the tenancy period.

Serves them right!! :lol:

Where I used to live a neighbour rented out their house but was very indiscriminate about who she rented it to, the last tenant paying one year in advance as they'd received compensation from an accident at work. Once their money ran out she didn't get any more rent and they were there eighteen months.

During their time their we had the police at their house almost every day (and that was only when they were reported), glass in the road all the time, the fire brigade on two occasions, regular fist fights with various neighbours, neighbours vehicle windows smashed, a thouroughly bad lot, and it used to be a nice quiet neighbourhood.

Now at least two other neighbours have moved, we have moved, and the house they were in has been re-renovated, but the road has definately taken a turn for the worse.

When I used to rent out a property I had credit checks done and all sorts to stop this kind of thing. It only takes one bad apple.

I do like Burscough which has great historical canal importance and was always a nice stopover after the Preston Riversway Festival as it's an easy day from Preston Dock on a mid-day tide then up the locks on the Rufford Arm to the geourgeous area at the top of the locks.

The stretch between Burscough and Wigan is one of the prettiest I've cruised and to stay over at the foot of the disused locks at Appley Bridge is wonderful, with a lovely view across the valley which has no road just a railway, and to not be able to do this for fear would be a shame.

There has been much investment in this area too, with three new marinas in the area and it would be a shame for a couple of individuals to spoil it.

If the Police wont do anything, then in the past I know of at least two occasions where boaters have 'sorted' out yobs of this kind, and this is what must be done. Towpaths are dark at night and the chances of being caught for administering justice are very slim. My fear is that the boating poulation is now much older on average than it was then and there are much fewer persons who are able to administer this both in body and through fear of being vunerable afterwards. If the yobs find the canal an easy target then they will come back, but if it gets a reputation for admistering it's own law then they will not return and find other areas to prey on such as Tesco Car Parks etc.

It would only need to happen once.

Well I arrived in Burscough yesterday afternoon and when I arrived met a friend who was on the Llangollen last winter he has been in Burscough for 10 days and he never mentioned anything about trouble, and was never mentioned last night in The Ship and we were about 6 boaters.

fourth day now and still no problems!!!