more insulation advice please

mick1964

Featured Posts

hi everyone,

thanks to everybody who replied on this subject last time. i was down on the boat yesterday putting some bits and pieces on board, had a look in the engine bay and notied the calorifier was in there too, its a semi-trad by the way, anyway this one is spray foamed wrapped, ii that enough to stop it freezing up ? yes i will be on the boat most of the time, but i sort of think its outside the main cabbin and i can imagine it can get quite cold in there, any thoughts ? should i wrap some extra space blanketb type stuff around it ? would that be safe to do ?

well thanks in advance or any advice.... mick :lol:

hi everyone,

thanks to everybody who replied on this subject last time. i was down on the boat yesterday putting some bits and pieces on board, had a look in the engine bay and notied the calorifier was in there too, its a semi-trad by the way, anyway this one is spray foamed wrapped, ii that enough to stop it freezing up ? yes i will be on the boat most of the time, but i sort of think its outside the main cabbin and i can imagine it can get quite cold in there, any thoughts ? should i wrap some extra space blanketb type stuff around it ? would that be safe to do ?

well thanks in advance or any advice.... mick :lol:

Make sure that the pipes that lead to it are insulated. They are the most likey part to freeze.

Tim

Make sure that the pipes that lead to it are insulated. They are the most likey part to freeze.

Tim

Sounds like the same set up as my semi trad. I dont appear to have a drain point on the tank so im gonna add one. Whats best way to drain it 1st without floodin the place. Think I will add some lagging the the pipes also. Its my understanding that Hep 2o pipe is best left full of water to prevent the o rings in the fittings from perishing. I,m not sure if thats true or not but the plumber I work with re filled a heating system in a house that had been drained down for a long period. Fittings started leaking all over! I still prefer copper!!!

Phil

Hep2o pipe won't split if it freezes, but the fittings can. Insulation won't stop the water freezing, only delay it. OK if it is below freezing for a short period, but if it's for a few days it will freeze.

Guest GuitarCrazyo

Just wondering...

I didnt post in there too much since there doesnt seem to be enough females here as there are on the other boards I visit, but it was still cool to have around...