Ruston Starter Problem

sansouci

Featured Posts

Hi there, I need to rebuild my Ruston starter motor due to it's extreme old age and poverty. It is of the axial type, a CAV model BS5 12 volt. I have the exploded parts diagram but I could do with a wiring diagram as the internal connections are quite complex. Any one in the forum have a wiring diagram they could share with me please?

This starter initially throws the gear on the armature shaft into mesh with the flywheel ring and then starts to put the power on to turn the engine. It also has an internal clutch to minimise meshing damage on over run if the engine kicks back.

thanks

Hi there, I need to rebuild my Ruston starter motor due to it's extreme old age and poverty. It is of the axial type, a CAV model BS5 12 volt. I have the exploded parts diagram but I could do with a wiring diagram as the internal connections are quite complex. Any one in the forum have a wiring diagram they could share with me please?

This starter initially throws the gear on the armature shaft into mesh with the flywheel ring and then starts to put the power on to turn the engine. It also has an internal clutch to minimise meshing damage on over run if the engine kicks back.

thanks

have you tried steve whyatt at stapleford expert on starters and alts?

have you tried steve whyatt at stapleford expert on starters and alts?

Thank you for the name, I prefer to do it myself where ever possible.

regards

Well, yes actually, but it's saved in my head so I will have to draw it out and upload it. Give me a little while.

I have plenty of time, and would be most grateful if you can recall the circuit. In particular there are 2 loops between the 4 brushes which will fall away upon dis-assembly no doubt, so I need the diagram just to be sure. I make a sketch when dismantling but it's always good to have a plan B

Thank you

regards

Thank you for the name, I prefer to do it myself where ever possible.

regards

In particular there are 2 loops between the 4 brushes which will fall away upon dis-assembly

It's a good plan to remove the terminals from one brush and then re-fit the screw so as to preserve the orientation of those straps.

thanks

I understand these BS5s are like hen's teeth now. Guard it 24/7 , probably worth more than the Ruston! Check the operation of the solenoid and contacts that put full power on when it's engaged . Worn contacts or bad adjustment is common.

Bill

It's a good plan to remove the terminals from one brush and then re-fit the screw so as to preserve the orientation of those straps.

That's sound advice. The straps can easily fall loose

thank you

I understand these BS5s are like hen's teeth now. Guard it 24/7 , probably worth more than the Ruston! Check the operation of the solenoid and contacts that put full power on when it's engaged . Worn contacts or bad adjustment is common.

Bill

I did see on eBay some similar starters for Gardeners at nearly £200 each but that's out of my league. I am sure the old one will work for a few more years yet

thanks

bs5e.th.jpg

Hope that's come up all right. I will add a few hints and tips and suggest a parts source when I have a little more time.

I have a workshop manual for all the Lucas/CAV Axial Starter Motors, somewhere. PM me if you would like me to photocopy.

N

bs5e.th.jpg

Hope that's come up all right. I will add a few hints and tips and suggest a parts source when I have a little more time.

That is just the job. A nice clear picture

The Ruston is now chugging along nicely with a good positive starter.

Many thanks to all.

I have a workshop manual for all the Lucas/CAV Axial Starter Motors, somewhere. PM me if you would like me to photocopy.

N

Thank you for the kind offer, it was really the wiring that was my direct concern. I have some mechanical items spare from an old motor but it is in lots of pieces hence the issue. If you do find the information I am sure it would be really useful to many of us with the axial type starters.

thanks again