New boat builder in Stilton

Featured Posts

Hello everyone.

Stilton may have had a bad reputation for boat building but this is something of the past. The page is turned as the-one-boatbuilder-who-can't-be-named has disappeared virtually without a trace (You will still find his ad in WW but don't be tempted - he is not there any more).

Instead, the major company who owns the whole yard have started their own boat building. The main fabricator/welder/designer is someone with a lot of experience in boat building and welding, and someone who can definitely be trusted. They will initially concentrate on shells and sailaways. The first boat came out of the workshop a week ago and is now sitting proudly alongside the A1 near Stilton (actually on a golf course owned by the major company here).

There is a large banner on the boat with the website address.

It is certainly worth coming and having a look if you are thinking of having a boat built.

Their website will give you the details of their whereabouts and what the company can offer, not just in terms of boat building (www.darkegroup.co.uk).

Marc

PS: I'm not related to them in any way, apart from fitting out my own boats on the yard. I just feel it is worth spreading the news as it is good to see some boat activity going on again here.

Hello everyone.

Stilton may have had a bad reputation for boat building but this is something of the past. The page is turned as the-one-boatbuilder-who-can't-be-named has disappeared virtually without a trace (You will still find his ad in WW but don't be tempted - he is not there any more).

Instead, the major company who owns the whole yard have started their own boat building. The main fabricator/welder/designer is someone with a lot of experience in boat building and welding, and someone who can definitely be trusted. They will initially concentrate on shells and sailaways. The first boat came out of the workshop a week ago and is now sitting proudly alongside the A1 near Stilton (actually on a golf course owned by the major company here).

It is certainly worth coming and having a look if you are thinking of having a boat built.

Their website will give you the details of their whereabouts and what the company can offer, not just in terms of boat building (www.darkegroup.co.uk).

Marc

PS: I'm not related to them in any way, apart from fitting out my own boats on the yard. I just feel it is worth spreading the news as it is good to see some boat activity going on again here.

It came up as Floating Homes, I thought they had always been there

No, Floating Homes is a thing of the past :lol:

This is what came up

2.Floating Homes Narrowboats Ltd.

Peterborough based architectural and structural steelwork, water ... a project you have in mind please call on 01733 240580 or email info@darkegroup.co.uk. ...

www.floating-homes.co.uk - 8k - Cached

This is what came up

2.Floating Homes Narrowboats Ltd.

Peterborough based architectural and structural steelwork, water ... a project you have in mind please call on 01733 240580 or email info@darkegroup.co.uk. ...

www.floating-homes.co.uk - 8k - Cached

This is weird. If you type www.darkegroup.co.uk or www.darkesteelboats.co.uk, there is absolutely no mention of Floating Homes as they are no longer here. You should check again!

Sounds like same set up but without he who can't be named. The welder mentioned worked with HWCBN for a number of years. Floating Homes was run by Darke to fit out boats but ran into difficulties and ceased trading. HWCBN carried on as Floating Homes Narrowboats, now it seems Darke are having another go. One boat in photo is from around 2003. Can't speak for anyone else but we had a good experience there fitting out our boat.

Sounds like same set up but without he who can't be named. The welder mentioned worked with HWCBN for a number of years. Floating Homes was run by Darke to fit out boats but ran into difficulties and ceased trading. HWCBN carried on as Floating Homes Narrowboats, now it seems Darke are having another go. One boat in photo is from around 2003. Can't speak for anyone else but we had a good experience there fitting out our boat.

This is the other one that comes up

1.Darke group - Contact details for Darke steelworks company ...

Tony Darke – Managing Director tony@darkegroup.co.uk. Mick Bates – Commercial Manager mick@darkegroup.co.uk. Chris Smale – Works Manager chris@darkegroup.co.uk ...

www.floating-homes.co.uk/darkepages/darke_contact.html - 6k - Cached

To get this I just put the web site you gave into Yahoo and this is what came up.

Now it might be old information but as you can see Floating Homes were darkegroup.co.uk

This is the other one that comes up

1.Darke group - Contact details for Darke steelworks company ...

Tony Darke – Managing Director tony@darkegroup.co.uk. Mick Bates – Commercial Manager mick@darkegroup.co.uk. Chris Smale – Works Manager chris@darkegroup.co.uk ...

www.floating-homes.co.uk/darkepages/darke_contact.html - 6k - Cached

To get this I just put the web site you gave into Yahoo and this is what came up.

Now it might be old information but as you can see Floating Homes were darkegroup.co.uk

I think your post was meant for Grandunion5.

Hello everyone.

Marc

Thanks for your kind words.

You are right this is nothing to do with Floating Homes. The reference on the web address is because Darke Group always owned the Floating Homes web site. The Darke Group parted company with Floating Homes in April 2008.

From experience Darke Steel will not be doing any boat fit outs and I will not let any boat leave the workshop until the boat is complete and accepted by the customer.

I'm puzzled by the coy references to a boatbuilder who cannot be named. Why not? Is this because no one knows his name? There's obviously a story behind this which I'm not aware of.

Because of issues with unfinished boats, though it must be said we had a positive experience and quality of construction was ok.

Also found Stan to be a competent builder and wish him well in the future.