Fitting chimney colars and flues etc

Featured Posts

So the stove I'm looking at has a 2" flue. All the collars I've seen are massive.

Where can I get a 'reducer' or whatever to make the 2" flue fit a standard collar? Would it fit inside the boat, and should I still cut a 5" hole in the top?

Most standard chimney collars are 6" (there are some 6.5" ones around), this is the outside diameter, the flue fits on the inside and so is around 4-4.5" normally.

One option is engine room exhausts, there may be some smaller collars for them?

So the stove I'm looking at has a 2" flue. All the collars I've seen are massive.

Where can I get a 'reducer' or whatever to make the 2" flue fit a standard collar? Would it fit inside the boat, and should I still cut a 5" hole in the top?

2ins is very small for a stove flue. If this is solid fuel, I wouldn't consider fitting a flue this narrow - it could easily become blocked and be dangerous. If you're just looking at the stove, then perhaps you should look away, or at least get a satisfactory answer as to why the flue is only 2ins.

Mac

2ins is very small for a stove flue. If this is solid fuel, I wouldn't consider fitting a flue this narrow - it could easily become blocked and be dangerous. If you're just looking at the stove, then perhaps you should look away, or at least get a satisfactory answer as to why the flue is only 2ins.

Mac

I agree, I have a 4ins flue on my squirrel. It sometimes gets asthma and has to be cleaned. I would worrry about such a narrow diameter flue.

Tim

Mac

It's a tiny stove. A pipsqueak.

The tube on the back is only 2", but I suppose I could upsize it to 4" straight away.

It's a tiny stove. A pipsqueak.

The tube on the back is only 2", but I suppose I could upsize it to 4" straight away.

I had a look at the Pipsqueak, being a stove freak. They seem an attractive little stove, and they've sold quite a lot. The flue size is in fact 70mm, (or 80mm - there seems to be some confusion) but I still wouldn't be happy about that. Fitting a 4" or larger adaptor next to the stove carries the danger of soot or tar falling down and collecting on the flange, but this can happen also whenever the flue pipe comes out of the back of the stove, with a 90deg bend. Your question was asked before, here and you may like to contact the OP of that thread to ask how they got on.

Mac

I had a look at the Pipsqueak, being a stove freak. They seem an attractive little stove, and they've sold quite a lot. The flue size is in fact 70mm, (or 80mm - there seems to be some confusion) but I still wouldn't be happy about that. Fitting a 4" or larger adaptor next to the stove carries the danger of soot or tar falling down and collecting on the flange, but this can happen also whenever the flue pipe comes out of the back of the stove, with a 90deg bend. Your question was asked before, here and you may like to contact the OP of that thread to ask how they got on.

Mac

Cheers for that. I've pm'd the thread starter to see how he got on and the pipsqueak maker to get the exact flue size.

Once the flue is in place is there any way to clean it out? It'll have a couple of bends in it.

Cheers for that. I've pm'd the thread starter to see how he got on and the pipsqueak maker to get the exact flue size.

Once the flue is in place is there any way to clean it out? It'll have a couple of bends in it.

Eyup,

Thanks for the message. The flue size is 80mm. I just used the stainless steel flue from the pipsqueak makers, and he also supplied us 45deg and 90deg elbows. I posted some pics on BlueStringPuddings post about fitting a small stove http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...23857&st=20

I used a collar from HighLine, they do a 95mm, and with a bit of glass rope and plumba flue, it works a treat. Though must admit the stove isn't used that much - just for winter cruising to warm the steerer.

Anything else, please just ask,

Martin