Roger Fuller

robkg

Featured Posts

Hi all,

First I should say that I have bought two shells from Roger Fuller in the past but have no other interests in his business.

I have seen more than one mention in the recent past, on this forum, that states that Roger is no longer building boats.

This was news to me.

Coincidentally, I bumped into him yesterday in Birmingham and so I mentioned that I had learned that he had stopped boatbuilding.

He told me that this was absolutely not true and was still very much in the business.

So to be absolutely clear:

Roger Fuller still builds boats

Furthermore he was more than a little irritated that this incorrect information was being posted on a public forum.

I have to say that I agree with him and would strongly urge any forum member to be 100% certain of their facts before

stating that any business is no longer trading. This could possibly have lost Roger significant work.

For any business to survive and prosper at the moment, the last thing they need is erroneous statements like this being spread.

Yes indeed. Im also in frequent communication with Roger and his family (last saw joe about 4hours ago) and can also confirm he is very much still out and about, boating and building, as i have mentioned on threads stating the contrary a few times.

And yes, they are cracking boats too. The motor Azalea is one of his and great boat, the butty Ilford being a 1912 braithwaites which roger has recently rebottomed in wood and is currently using for a logging contract with the National Trust to removed around 100 tonnes of timber from the Shugborough estate as well as for leisure. She was seen at both brauston and shackerstone this year.

Daniel

The motor Azalea is one of his and great boat, the butty Ilford being a 1912 braithwaites which roger has recently rebottomed in wood and is currently using for a logging contract with the National Trust to removed around 100 tonnes of timber from the Shugborough estate as well as for leisure. She was seen at both brauston and shackerstone this year.

Daniel

Thanks for the addition info Dhutch. I thought it was Ilford at Shugborough, i didnt get too much time to look with a canaltime tacking across the cut :lol:

Hi all,

First I should say that I have bought two shells from Roger Fuller in the past but have no other interests in his business.

I have seen more than one mention in the recent past, on this forum, that states that Roger is no longer building boats.

This was news to me.

Coincidentally, I bumped into him yesterday in Birmingham and so I mentioned that I had learned that he had stopped boatbuilding.

He told me that this was absolutely not true and was still very much in the business.

Furthermore he was more than a little irritated that this incorrect information was being posted on a public forum.

I have to say that I agree with him and would strongly urge any forum member to be 100% certain of their facts before

stating that any business is no longer trading. This could possibly have lost Roger significant work.

For any business to survive and prosper at the moment, the last thing they need is erroneous statements like this being spread.

I couldn't agree more.

Where has the "wrong" info come from?

Incidentally, in my opinion his boats are the best replica joshers available.

Hi all,

This was news to me.

That is excellent news ( if it`s news at all as such )- he is one of the very best builders and has been so for years. I confess that I ,

for one, understood him to be CURRENTLY not building ( as against not building at all ) rather than "out of the business" but that was some time ago now and if it wasn`t actually the case at the time anyway - all the better. I heard of it from a number of people - but no-one imagined at the time that while Roger may take a break , he would ever actually give up . Your point is well taken , by me at least and if I have contributed to the misinformation during a " who builds the best boat " debate ( in which I for one would always mention Roger ), which I fear I may have done if it coincided with the period when I understood Roger to be taking a sabbatical , as it were , I apologise most sincerely.

We all need as much help as we can get at the moment and our industry needs people who produce work of genuine quality to survive the current difficult time - because such standards take years to reach and would not readily be replaced in the market.

Edited by Phil Speight