Exhaust too quiet on Beta BD3

MtB

Featured Posts

Hmmm....I'd keep it as it is...nice and quiet....and have a small CD player hidden in your back cabin playing a range of engine sounds on a continuous loop....you could have different tracks for different types of engine according to your mood!

Won't sound right without a rave dj's mixer box adapted to speed and slow the sound via the throttle cable, even a bit of "sustain" for the tiller, and "reverb" for the gear change! :lol:

Hmmm....I'd keep it as it is...nice and quiet....and have a small CD player hidden in your back cabin playing a range of engine sounds on a continuous loop....you could have different tracks for different types of engine according to your mood!

Errmm I think you've sussed me haven't you?

Ok I admit it, I do something like that already. In fact I own up, I don't have a boat at all, I do all my boating by watching youtube videos....

:-)

Cheers, Mike

OFF TOPIC That reminds me of the time, over 30 years ago when I was running several bricklaying gangs on a major housing project. The site agent was always commenting that we were late on site, only by a few minutes,so we got one of the labourers to set up a couple of stereo casette players with recordings of us working - mixers running, 'pug up', more Flettons, blocks etc. he went in early and secretly set them going. The site agent was not amused when he got a visit from the local planning office for allowing work outside of the terms and conditions of the planning consent.

I just checked the installation instructions for the engine and it does not specify the exhaust diameter, instead specifying the maximum back pressure measured at the exhaust manifold must not exceed 1.5 PSI. They make no comment on any relationship between exhaust diameter and the sound though...

Yeah, thats a very common specification to give because its back pressure the engine cares about.

- Diameter will of cause effect back pressure, but so would the route, length and silencers within the system.

- It is however not so easy to measure without the correct kit (or atlease a suitable pressure gauge and tapping)

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for that! I've just had a chat with the bloke at TW Marine and it sounds just the job so I ordered one. At £164 inc VAT and delivery, and a virtually straight swap for my current silencer it's well worth the money to me to save all the time involved in devising something bespoke.

I'll post again with results when I've fitted it!

Cheers, Mike

Have you done it yet?

Have you done it yet?

Yes, eventually.

I ended up spending almost the same again on 2" iron fittings to replace the manky section 1½" iron and rusty Timax 'flexible' tube. Results however, are disappointing. The exhaust note is only a little different from the orignail silencer. A bit deeper, 'meatier' and slightly nicer to listen to, but certainly not worth the time and effort.

I can see a Gardner 2LW going in next.... Anyone got a spare one lying around? :-)

Cheers, Mike