A boat needs your help on the River Soar

Roger t' Bodger

Featured Posts

Just voted, great project.

Do you think Adrian would come up to Manchester with the boat and help clean up the Rochdale?

If anybody else knows of good projects like this that people can volunteer to help with in their local area, it would be great to post them on here.

Well done :lol: java script:add_smilie(":lol:","smid_31")

Done. The Soar is a great boating route and Leicester needs to take care of its section. I hope they get the money.

Here here!

We did an interview for the Leicester Mercury this week and I'm pleased to say we addressed all your points to the reporter.

The waterway needs cleaning up, there should be more CCTV along the route to discourage the ASBO crowd and activities that involve the neighbouring communities are paramount to the success of this scheme to improve things.

Let's all get behind this - Leicester is trying to become a much better place and the Leicester Section could be so much better with some attention and funding.

Another Day - another Vote - CCTV's ?

CCTV along the towpath? Won't make no difference to mindless vandalism as the youff of today are well versed in avoiding identification via camera. The answer is to make the waterways as popular as possible especially within the urban setting where the waterways attract normal people which in turn drives away those who favour it's isolation. Meanwhile projects like Greenlife, Outdoor Pursuits Centre, Sea Scouts, IWA, BW give time to involve the preteens with positive projects and activities.

Roger

Why is it illegal to swim in Leicester's waterways? Is it because of the pollution, as it is the cleanest since before the industrial revolution?

DSCF2198.jpg

Ranger Adrian and I are hopefully having a meeting this week to discuss a support group for the Greenlife boat (originally called Cranfleet) so monies can be raised to fund a bit of TLC for the old girl. She really needs a new paint scheme - something eye catching but easy to retouched.

While out on my bike yesterday, after helping Ian on May Bee through the locks south of Leicester, I noticed that pennywort had started to grow again at the confluence of the Soar and Biam below St Mary's Mill Lock. This means more Greenlife resources to eradicate it in a section thought to be cleared. It entered the watercourses at Aylestone Mill in 2004 and now is beyond Loughborough and spreading. It just loves our climate after the lakes of northern Canada.

WatersideCentre-1.jpg

This old river bathing station that in turn became the Riverside Centre is now all gone. This means that the Greenlife boat will not have secure mooring for the north side of the city - just for the sake of hoped-for developers who would be attracted by a fancy footbridge....

People gladly swam in the warm waters once but now it is illegal despite the water being the cleanest in 300 years!

I know it is a grind but keep voting!

WatersideCentre-1.jpg

This old river bathing station that in turn became the Riverside Centre is now all gone. This means that the Greenlife boat will not have secure mooring for the north side of the city - just for the sake of hoped-for developers who would be attracted by a fancy footbridge....

People gladly swam in the warm waters once but now it is illegal despite the water being the cleanest in 300 years!

Thats a great picture! shows a good reflection of old and new....

I spoke to Ian of May Bee who said he had sailed passed the Riverside Centre (previous page) and up into the basin in Abbey Park (below) just to see if it could done. Surprisingly, to me, it was.

DSCF4514.jpg

He told me that they used to moor there in numbers during the 1980's when the Abbey Park Show was still running plus this was where the IWA National was held in 1967.

Keep voting

Edited by Roger t' Bodger

Septemberpix070.jpg

This snap was taken on the navigation below St Mary's Mill Lock on Saturday, on a watercourse thought to be clear.

Even after spraying with weedkiller by BW, last year, this Pennywort can bounce back. If removing by hand, every fragment needs to be removed of every emergence of the weed, in other words, a nearly impossible task. A botanist in the 1930's advised the government of the day to make it illegal to import into the country as it would create havoc.

Havoc time, folks....

Vote Now!

Come on - keep voting!

Here's Greenlife at last years Riverside Festival acting as a useful pontoon for the canoeists and sea scouts

DSCF3921.jpg

The mass of woven withies was a sculpture that was sailed up and down the Mile Straight on the Rangers electrically powered dingy.

I know one of those guys - small world.

WatersideCentre-1.jpg

The Greenlife boat was moor at the LOPC last thurs - just about to vote again (after a weekend in an internet black hole at the Shackerstone Festival)

The Outdoor Pursuits Centre is the only temporary secure mooring for the Greenlife Boat in the north of the city, now that the Riverside Centre has been bulldosed :lol:

Image1.jpg

Now probably part of girder making up a skyscraper in Dubai as it disappeared in 2006 along with the rest of the fleet while in transport by road in a convoy. See them in action here:- http://www.vimeo.com/4612975

Er... vote? http://cashback.cjsonline.gov.uk/

Today's the day! Time for one last vote everyone. http://cashback.cjsonline.gov.uk/

The CJS has said they will notify all projects by the end of September so theres not too long to stand with your fingers and toes crossed :lol:

DSCF2198.jpg

It is hoped that during this week the Greenlife Boat will venture down the old Soar and be the last boat to pass under the mighty Bowstring Bridge before the City Council have their evil way and demolish it next week :lol: