Is this plain silly?

Emily

Featured Posts

Hello, I'd like people's opinions on this matter- I've seen a lovely boat that ticks all my boxes except for one huge one: the boat is in Bedford and I'm looking for moorings in west Yorkshire... Is it completely ridiculous to consider buying this boat and spending months bringing it up north? Especially seen as I'm completely inexperienced in all boating matters? The more I think about it the more absurd it sounds..

Hello, I'd like people's opinions on this matter- I've seen a lovely boat that ticks all my boxes except for one huge one: the boat is in Bedford and I'm looking for moorings in west Yorkshire... Is it completely ridiculous to consider buying this boat and spending months bringing it up north? Especially seen as I'm completely inexperienced in all boating matters? The more I think about it the more absurd it sounds..

You may be overestimating the time required: one month, rather than "months" seems closer. Use the canalplan site to get a more exact time.

Bedford to the canals involves rivers, a short tidal stretch and the Middle Level. Doing that in winter to a tight time budget is not ideal, but it's not absurd.

MP.

You may be overestimating the time required: one month, rather than "months" seems closer. Use the canalplan site to get a more exact time.

Bedford to the canals involves rivers, a short tidal stretch and the Middle Level. Doing that in winter to a tight time budget is not ideal, but it's not absurd.

MP.

I don't really have a tight time budget, it's just that it's a bit of a scary prospect. Also the boat is 60 feet long and I've heard that boats over 57 feet may be too long for some locks.

Not absurd or ridiculous, although you may want to join the equivalent of the RAC ( I forget the name! ), just incase you have some early issues when you move it up. Also if it's going to take more time than you have to move up, theres always the back of a lorry.

Where abouts in West Yorkshire are you looking?

Edited by Robbo

Not absurd or ridiculous, although you may want to join the equivalent of the RAC ( I forget the name! ), just incase you have some early issues when you move it up. Also if it's going to take more time than you have to move up, theres always the back of a lorry.

Where abouts in West Yorkshire are you looking?

R.A.C? I think the name you are seeking is River and Canalboat Rescue. Have had to use them in the past and found them really good.

Phil

I don't really have a tight time budget, it's just that it's a bit of a scary prospect. Also the boat is 60 feet long and I've heard that boats over 57 feet may be too long for some locks.

The Leeds and Liverpool can be done (just) by boats of 62 ft. The Calder and Hebble is a little tighter. It depends on which waterway you're talking about. Are you single handing because that will make it more daunting?

Roger

For a narrowboat 60 foot is really the max of max in Yorkshire, with a small lock you put the boat in the lock at an angle.

60 or 62 always comes up for debate on the Leeds Liverpool above Wigan. 60 is tight,my mate hates taking his 60 up, 62 must be very difficult. We had trouble keeping our 57 away from the badly leaking gates.

60 or 62 always comes up for debate on the Leeds Liverpool above Wigan. 60 is tight,my mate hates taking his 60 up, 62 must be very difficult. We had trouble keeping our 57 away from the badly leaking gates.

I must remember to tell my friends that have just crossed the L&L with their 62 ft, only needing to single out from a 54 ft accompanying boat in one lock, that they can't do it. :lol:

Roger

Route from Bedford Boat Club to Bingley five-rise about 360 miles and 168 hours at 3mph., 15 mins each lock. Bear in mind that sometimes you will not be able to achieve that speed, other times you will be able to exceed it. Could be done with a fair wind and a lot of help in about three weeks. Better to allow a month, it would be quite a passage and you wouldn't have time to do much (any) sightseeing.

If this doesn't appeal have you considered road transport? It will add a couple of grand (or less) to the price of the boat, but if you like it, it could be worth it and will only take a couple of days.

If you really like the boat and have the funds, take it. You may not see another boat with the same appeal for a long time.

Talk to A B Tuckey http://www.abtuckey.co.uk to get a better idea of cost.

Tony.

I must remember to tell my friends that have just crossed the L&L with their 62 ft, only needing to single out from a 54 ft accompanying boat in one lock, that they can't do it. :lol:

Roger

Loads have done it, loads have got soaked.

Cheers for advice everyone, maybe I'll give it a go- depends if owner accepts my offer, then survey results, but what an adventure it would be... No rush anyway- still have to find mooring somewhere in w.Yorks, might be the hardest bit!