Sqirrel Stove

kevinw

Featured Posts

Strictly speaking, it's a Lockgate stove, but it started live as a Squirrel before being converted to burn diesel.

The rope seal on the door was a bit tatty, so last weekend, I removed the old rope and replaced it with new 8 mm seal rope, as recommended by a large chandlers in Braunston (and since confirmed with a parts list I've found on the web).

The problem is, having fitted the new rope and forced it into place with a suitable blunt screwdriver, the door is now almost impossible to shut. This is the third boat we've owned with a Squirrel stove, but the first that has needed the rope to be replaced. Is this something that will eventually fit properly, or have I made a lotal mess of doing such a simple job? Any advice welcome. Helful advice **especially** welcome :lol:

Kevin

Strictly speaking, it's a Lockgate stove, but it started live as a Squirrel before being converted to burn diesel.

The rope seal on the door was a bit tatty, so last weekend, I removed the old rope and replaced it with new 8 mm seal rope, as recommended by a large chandlers in Braunston (and since confirmed with a parts list I've found on the web).

The problem is, having fitted the new rope and forced it into place with a suitable blunt screwdriver, the door is now almost impossible to shut. This is the third boat we've owned with a Squirrel stove, but the first that has needed the rope to be replaced. Is this something that will eventually fit properly, or have I made a lotal mess of doing such a simple job? Any advice welcome. Helful advice **especially** welcome :lol:

Kevin

You haven't messed it up. Mine was the same, it soon beds in. You may have to force it closed at first though.

Kevin

You may have used a little too much glue and don't force the door shut, as you risk breaking the glass. I found this

out the hard way and endded up paying 40 notes for replacment glass

firesprite

Middle levels

Yeah, it will bed in, but do be carefull about forcing the door too much as mentioned.

- "8mm Glass Rope" will vary somewhat in how tightly its bound and even in size i guess depending on who made it etc so if its really silly you may need some smaller rope or somthing. All dependings how stiff stiff is, and how much you are having to force it.

Daniel