Fitting a new stove

warlock

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

I'm fitting a new stove but How do I remove the flue from the old one? Do I just smash it up? I'm not keen on that idea as it'll mess the place up. How can I do it cleanly?

Cheers Warlock.

I recently had to this and struggled somewhat since the flue had well and truely rusted in. I wrongly assumed that it was cast iron and that if I hit it hard enough then it would shatter. I ended up having to hack saw through it just below ceiling level, then saw up through the chimney twice so that I could remove a section which then freed up the rest. And, yes, it did make a mess. :lol:

I recently had to this and struggled somewhat since the flue had well and truely rusted in. I wrongly assumed that it was cast iron and that if I hit it hard enough then it would shatter. I ended up having to hack saw through it just below ceiling level, then saw up through the chimney twice so that I could remove a section which then freed up the rest. And, yes, it did make a mess. :lol:

D'OH!!!!

I think I'll try and lay my hands on an angle grinder...I'm far too lazy for a hacksaw! :lol:

Cheers Matt.

Hi Folks,

I'm fitting a new stove but How do I remove the flue from the old one? Do I just smash it up? I'm not keen on that idea as it'll mess the place up. How can I do it cleanly?

Cheers Warlock.

I removed the old pipe and roof collar from our boat recently and yes it is going to make a mess. So worth getting dust sheets down and covering things up as much as possible.

I did manage to release the roof collar first (bolted down with bolt heads showing on roof and threaded holes in roof. I then released the seals from around the fire end and just drew the whole lot through the roof hole. You may not be able to do this as often coach style bolts are used and so nothing to get hold off outside. Plan B for me would Have been to saw a section out of the pipe (rolled mild steel usually) releasing the fire end and roof collar.

You will end up dismantling the roof panels inside the boat (more mess) and possibly some of the sides depending on the construction of the boats lining.