In at the deep end

Featured Posts

Well after a relatively short time that has seemed an eternity we finally gave up on finding a decent proposition to take on. My nearest and dearest, God bless her, has decided that I am going to make one. her confidence in me is wonderful even after the many things ive started and never finished, ( one of the only things to get finished was another boat }. so a new welding device has been obtained today and much scribbling and planning is unfolding. Ive also ordered some steel to be going on with. I dont think iam dialled into the virtual world enough to start a blog so i will keep you all bemused with regular postings, unless someone points me in the right direction and makes a blog seem simple. I am old school and a jack of all trades so mistakes will be made a the end result could be amusing but this is not a dress rehearsal and i,m up for it, wish us luck and all advice will be considered. :lol::lol::lol:

I dont think iam dialled into the virtual world enough to start a blog so i will keep you all bemused with regular postings, unless someone points me in the right direction and makes a blog seem simple.

If you know how to send emails with pictures attached, then you should be OK with this Blogging solution:

1. Create a blog at http://www.blogger.com (of course there are other sites as well, but I happen to use this one).

2. When you are in you blog, go to "Settings" and then click "Email & Mobile" tab along the top. You can now create a special email address for your blog posts. Make a note of the email address.

3. Now you are ready to blog! When you send an email to that special email address, it will appear in your blog. Any pictures that you attach will appear there as well.

Here is a help page for email blogging.

OR you could keep us posted here on the forum's Build Blogs section - just create a thread there and post as you go along, with no need creating a proper blog.

Good luck :lol:

Edited by Bat & Frog

If you know how to send emails with pictures attached, then you should be OK with this Blogging solution:

1. Create a blog at http://www.blogger.com (of course there are other sites as well, but I happen to use this one).

2. When you are in you blog, go to "Settings" and then click "Email & Mobile" tab along the top. You can now create a special email address for your blog posts. Make a note of the email address.

3. Now you are ready to blog! When you send an email to that special email address, it will appear in your blog. Any pictures that you attach will appear there as well.

Here is a help page for email blogging.

OR you could keep us posted here on the forum's Build Blogs section - just create a thread there and post as you go along, with no need creating a proper blog.

Good luck :lol:

thanks for the help i,ll give it a go

• 2 weeks later...
splendid i cant use laziness as an excuse now, and i was hoping to spend less time on here ( i am always browsing } now that the gaffer has decided that i,m to build her retirement home :lol:

As promised a progress report on my mammoth adventure. Ordered steel for sides Thursday gone, this will be folded twice to create tumblehome and gunnel before it reaches me. Will be building 3 metres of bow and 3 metres of stern at home then transporting them nearer to a canal for insertion of the middle bit and fitting out. Found somewhere to do the final assembly today by chance and a series of lucky encounters. I can hear cries of it cant be done and thats not the way its done, but red rags and bulls come to mind plus the wife has a big stick and knows how to use it. Base plate and other steel arriving next week then time to start scratching head. :lol:

Edited by soldthehouse

Good luck with the build. I'm in the middle (hopefully a bit after the middle) of a NB build. Not much cop with blogs either..........just put the odd pic on the forum from time to time. Seems to work...

Good luck with the build. I'm in the middle (hopefully a bit after the middle) of a NB build. Not much cop with blogs either..........just put the odd pic on the forum from time to time. Seems to work...

At last a kindred spirit, are you building from scratch, and have you previous posts under what heading ? I have partly completed a 57fter before but circumstances meant i never got to the joinery which is my field, never mind the wife is pushing me to do another which is nice. thanks for interest and keep in touch regards Stuart :lol:

Laid the stern plate today and marked out the swim, made two frames to brace the forward end of the stern section and the rear of the bow section. I am making the front and back sections of the boat at home in some nearby farm buildings then transporting them to a yard near to the canal where the centre section will be assembled. I have had the centre section hull side plates folded to give tumblehome and gunnel so that I can match the front and back fabrications to them, in fact I will be including a short length of these to making matching easier at a later date. Been using my newly acquired dc inverter and its made a welder of me today these really are the dogs b......s. Shan,t sleep tonight I,am like a child at Christmas. :lol:

Laid the stern plate today and marked out the swim, made two frames to brace the forward end of the stern section and the rear of the bow section. I am making the front and back sections of the boat at home in some nearby farm buildings then transporting them to a yard near to the canal where the centre section will be assembled. I have had the centre section hull side plates folded to give tumblehome and gunnel so that I can match the front and back fabrications to them, in fact I will be including a short length of these to making matching easier at a later date. Been using my newly acquired dc inverter and its made a welder of me today these really are the dogs b......s. Shan,t sleep tonight I,am like a child at Christmas. :lol:

OMG! - 'I am going to make one' - 'practising my welding' - 'made a welder of me today'

I can turn my hand to many things, but welding? A boat? From scratch? Noooo!

Perhaps it's because my ol' man's a blacksmith & all-round welder (was - he's 86 now)

You know how we never do what our parents want us to do....

I admire your ambition - Good luck to you.... I mean that - It's not a flippant remark!

We'll want piccys =8^]

OMG! - 'I am going to make one' - 'practising my welding' - 'made a welder of me today'

Perhaps it's because my ol' man's a blacksmith & all-round welder (was - he's 86 now)

I admire your ambition - Good luck to you.... I mean that - It's not a flippant remark!

We'll want piccys =8^]

Modesty is one of lifes great virtues, so i find no pleasure in overstating my ability to competently achieve any thing I set out to do including helicopter pilot, motocross champion the list is endless ,there youve made me do it I am actually building this with no plans whatsoever you will be suprised at the result I will post some pics when the need arises

That's one of the interesting things about boatbuilding........people end up with the same thing, but go about it using so many various methods. (is that a double thingybob?, not to worry)

Just go over how you will make sure the three sections will match up, will you? I'm thinking you will make up two full sized templates?

I formed all my own plate on site but I'd never do it this way again. I must just like making work....barmy.

That's one of the interesting things about boatbuilding........people end up with the same thing, but go about it using so many various methods. (is that a double thingybob?, not to worry)

Just go over how you will make sure the three sections will match up, will you? I'm thinking you will make up two full sized templates?

I formed all my own plate on site but I'd never do it this way again. I must just like making work....barmy.

Hello I have had the sides bent twice working up from the baseplate at 930 from the bottom they are bent inwards about three degrees for about 225 then bent at right angles to the first 930 to form a 110 gunwhale. this gives a template to create the section for the stern and bow. I have today made two simple frames at 1968x930 high and welded them to the 3000x2000 plates which will be come 3 metres of bow and 3 metres of stern these will have about 300mm of the profiled plates attatched to them to enable later joining to the sides. I had ten 2500x1250 plates profiled for this which will give 12 metres of what i will call the centre section. I must go through the process of familiarising myself with uploading photos as I see this now as being essential. I was initially resistant to doing the construction this way but other people have apparently, and I love going against the grain. It is purely a practical descision for me as i am an hour and a half from the yard where the final stages will occur. i have access to transport for the smaller sections without the need for cranes and heavy haulage and it will afford me time to do the detailed work within walking distance of home. My field of expertise is joinery so the fit out should be easier than fabrication at a distance. I hope your project is progressing well. Off now to study photobucket

We'll want piccys =8^]

If your old dad was really a welder I could do with him on the vertical welds, its been 18 years since i did the last ones :lol:

Frame in place and 5" of profiled hull side welded to frame to give guide for swim and counter plates. Swim plate welded with strongbacks prior to bending inward and welding although this is now done photos will follow now someone has clarified the upload process :lol:

16-10-08_1359.jpg

16-10-08_1400.jpg

16-10-08_1358.jpg

Hiya, some interesting pics there............I think you've done this sort of thing before :lol: very neat work.

What thickness is the floorplate? looks like 10mm maybe? How are you handling the plate? Looks like a well thought out approach to me, I'm very envious of the roof over your head.

Close up of some of the welding, please...............cheers...

Hiya, some interesting pics there............I think you've done this sort of thing before :lol: very neat work.

What thickness is the floorplate? looks like 10mm maybe? How are you handling the plate? Looks like a well thought out approach to me, I'm very envious of the roof over your head.

Close up of some of the welding, please...............cheers...

Thanks for that yes its 10mm base and 6mm sides

I did build a shell to "acorn" plans 18 years ago but never got to the joinery bit. I just approach the job with joinery skills, I was a shuttering joiner when i left school so fabrication is very similar, latterly i have spent twenty years shopfitting and bar fitting and although the technology is different techniques and assembly seems to overlap alot. I,m ok on the horizontal welds but the verticals will need some practice, the dc inverter is a gem. I have a forklift as i ran a part time sawmill and kept it when it closed so moving the sheets is easy i dont know how you would manage without one its great as an anchor and for pushing and bending with :lol:

Edited by soldthehouse

Burnt my 9"grinder out yesterday, awaiting delivery of a new one, managing to work on boat everyday which will help progress have what I believe is called the uxter plate in place now{is this the one that sits on the swim plates}, and cuting weedhatch hole and adding a little more plate to the stern for more clearance between sternpost and tiller, Iam making it up pretty much as I go and from memory, so tears will be shed soon i think. however i havnt had so much fun in a long time. Pictures tomorrow camera phone permitting. :lol:

If your old dad was really a welder I could do with him on the vertical welds, its been 18 years since i did the last ones :lol:

It's probably that long since he last did any welding.

He would have loved to put the new bottom on 'Sir Edmund' but his vertigo gives him problems.

He IS a workaholic but I think (I know?) you're out of luck there (unless you're in Birmingham!)